cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording are pixelated and slow in changing channel

jtfab75
On our wavelength

One of our V6 boxes is having problems with pixelation on recordings , especially with Emmerdale and Neighbours, the pictures break up and jump scenes.

Both V6 boxes are having problems changing channel. You change a channel and the sound comes on before the picture, it takes about 3 seconds for the picture appears.

any help would be great .thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, it should have completed by now. I'd suggest making a note of any manual recordings you've got set over the next fortnight (maybe not many without a guide, but still) and....

Use the "Clear EPG and planned recordings" reset option under Help & Settings > Clear or restart. I'm quoting from memory so the exact phrasing may differ.

This should wipe the existing EPG clear and (I think) restart the box. It will then re-load the guide data, without what I suspect is some rogue data somewhere. SL's will be rescheduled, but manual recordings will need setting again.

All this presumes the reason for the slow loading is a data issue somewhere, and not the box's net connection stalling during the download. I suspect that would be obvious and exhibit more clues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Re the box with recording issues - does it have any problems viewing live TV? If yes, there's your problem. We can advise on that, but it's likely signal issues.

If not, try pausing your live TV for a short while and watch it delayed - that's effectively a recording, and any problems here will indicate possible hard disk issues.

Off-hand, your channel change issues don't sound abnormal, if the picture decoding is just a short time behind the sound. Are there any particular channel(s) where this occurs?

If you're concerned, you can try a precautionary restart, but I suspect this is just normal behaviour - my V6 does exactly the same sometimes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

jtfab75
On our wavelength

Forgot to say the V6 with the pixel problem, the TV guide is saying “to be announced”.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The EPG (TV Guide) gets its updates over the internet, which is also used for OnDemand & streaming. Does your OnDemand work ok? That's just an easy way to check your V6 has a working 'net connection.

If it does.. then follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network > Connect to Virgin Media Services now, and wait perhaps 20-30minutes.

If OnDemand doesn't work, then your box has lost its connection to your home-hub so we need to know how it's connected - Ethernet cable or wireless?

jtfab75
On our wavelength

Hi, I’ve had a proper look this morning and the power line plug wasn’t seeing the Ethernet cable plugged in to it, so I restarted the power line plug and it’s now working.

I restarted the V6 and it said the TV guide needs updating (not been done for 2 weeks’, so I’ve gone into Network settings and connected but it’s stick on 3% Loading.

Should I try WiFi ?

jtfab75
On our wavelength
I’ve tried WiFi and it’s loading on 3%

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A wired connection is always going to be preferable to wireless, given a free choice. And if your V6 hasn't updated the EPG for a fortnight, the download could take a little while. I'd allow 30-60minutes before worrying.

By all means check the progress during this time, but you want the network connections screen to either report success on the LHS, or a reason for failure.

jtfab75
On our wavelength

It’s back using Ethernet cable, now on 4% after 2 hours.

jtfab75
On our wavelength

At 11pm on 8%. Is this normal after not being updated for 2 weeks ?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, it should have completed by now. I'd suggest making a note of any manual recordings you've got set over the next fortnight (maybe not many without a guide, but still) and....

Use the "Clear EPG and planned recordings" reset option under Help & Settings > Clear or restart. I'm quoting from memory so the exact phrasing may differ.

This should wipe the existing EPG clear and (I think) restart the box. It will then re-load the guide data, without what I suspect is some rogue data somewhere. SL's will be rescheduled, but manual recordings will need setting again.

All this presumes the reason for the slow loading is a data issue somewhere, and not the box's net connection stalling during the download. I suspect that would be obvious and exhibit more clues.