cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: youtube videos and tivo stuttering

haystack1954
On our wavelength

My TiVo V6 developed the stuttering issue a couple of days ago. It only affects recordings of Live programs or if you're watching a live program, rewind, then push play again and it stutters. If I record a scheduled program the playback is perfectly okay. So that eliminates any hard drive fault. I haven't checked if YouTube is affected.

This type of fault was happening a year or more ago with BT Sport's LIVE recordings. If you recorded a BT Sport non live scheduled program it played back perfectly okay. Eventually the problem was fixed but it had nothing to do with your TiVo V6 box, internet or anything else VM may try to tell you. Replacing hardware doesn't fix the problem. It's an IT issue which only VM can fix.

I've found the problem exists on BBC 1 & 2 recording the live Wimbledon tennis and ITV live horse racing.

Hopefully someone from VM technical will see this and respond. But very doubtful based upon how long it took VM to rectify the BT issue which was well over 12 months. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi there @haystack1954, welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see you have been having issues with your services stuttering, I can see from our system that you have another engineer booked to help resolve these issues.

Please let us know how this visit goes, if you need any further help with this we will be happy to help.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Considering the 360 box is their latest box can't really see much effort being put into the old v6 platform

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This "me too" post has been moved to a new thread, let's start from scratch with the symptoms.

@haystack1954 wrote:

My TiVo V6 developed the stuttering issue a couple of days ago. It only affects recordings of Live programs or if you're watching a live program, rewind, then push play again and it stutters. If I record a scheduled program the playback is perfectly okay.

These two statements don't seem to make technical sense. Whether the content of a programme is live or recorded makes not a jot of difference to the broadcast signal fed to your STB.

Far more likely here is either an intermittent HDD issue, a signal issue that is transient, or a broadcaster issue. The latter would affect all viewers on all platforms.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

haystack1954
On our wavelength

Is it affecting the 360 platform? If so then this issue is across all platforms and backs up my comments that it's an IT problem at VM end.

Maybe it doesn't make technical sense to you but that's exactly what happens. Based on my experience with the BT Sport's fault there's nothing wrong with any of my equipment. Suddenly one day people realised BT Sport's LIVE recordings were playing back perfectly okay. They and I hadn't made any changes or had anything replaced.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have any specific examples of recordings that are regularly affected?

And whether you can view live at all? I'm intrigued as to what could cause this, but just cannot fathom any logic at the moment. I dare say that's why it took so long to fix in the past.

There was a (potentially similar) issue with some radio feeds previously, but it had nothing to do with the content of the programme - and was just that pausing a radio channel stopped symptoms that were evident on the live feed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Probably the best way for you to get a handle on this is to look at the discussion, 'BT Sport intermittent sound 4K' . You'll find there's two threads with the same title.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

@haystack1954 wrote:

This type of fault was happening a year or more ago with BT Sport's LIVE recordings. If you recorded a BT Sport non live scheduled program it played back perfectly okay. Eventually the problem was fixed but it had nothing to do with your TiVo V6 box, internet or anything else VM may try to tell you. Replacing hardware doesn't fix the problem. It's an IT issue which only VM can fix.

I've found the problem exists on BBC 1 & 2 recording the live Wimbledon tennis and ITV live horse racing.

This is clearly a problem which manifests itself on multiple channels, so no need to get fixated about BT Sport. If it's a V6 fault a box swap should fix it.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

VM engineers replaced many V6 boxes for the BT Sport 4k channel issue. According to the feedback on here none of them fixed the fault. Some people were even told it was their faulty smart TV which was incorrect diagnosis as well.

All my recordings before Friday 8th July - live programs or otherwise playback perfectly. If they didn't then I would suspect the V6 box.

Hi there @haystack1954, welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see you have been having issues with your services stuttering, I can see from our system that you have another engineer booked to help resolve these issues.

Please let us know how this visit goes, if you need any further help with this we will be happy to help.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules