cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: v6 sound issues live/recorded tv

TwistedSteel
Tuning in

Yes having the exact same problems, always fine through the V6 boxes apps (Netflix + iPlayer) but over the last 3 months I’m getting intermittent sound stuttering that lasts half a second or so. I think its more on the HD channels. Very annoying! 

Tried factory resetting the box, new HDMI, replugging cable but to no avail. Never had a problem in 3 years until recently! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@japitts wrote:

I don't think this will be the cause, but for elimination purposes...

Can you try toggling PCM/stereo output via Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Audio

All that would do is mixdown multichannel Dolby Digital encoded content or convert 2 channel Dolby Digital and result in you getting 2 channel PCM. This isn't a fix and simply acts as a workaround. You'd lose the ability to access DD 5.1 if and when available if you set the box to the PCM option.

There is no fix for the issue being discussed and I've had this issue for years. It has been apparent since the V6 box was originally launched. I've had boxes replaced, wiring replaced, a promise of a firmware expert calling me to investigate this further and nothing has been done to actually fix the problem.

Virgin Media basically mark the issue as being resolved and rectified each and every time they send someone out to try fix it. It has not however been fixed. The engineers who have called do insist on setting the box to the PCM setting and then pretend they've resolved the issue. Unfortunately for them, I know what that setting does and insist they set it back to how it was set.

The issue is obviously hardware related and an issue with the V6 box itself. If it weren't then they'd have fixed it by now instead of pretending the problem doesn't exist.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TwistedSteel 

It's better in this case to start your own thread 😉

To clarify, you have sound issues on some live TV channels - but streaming apps are ok? How about OnDemand programmes?

Can you identify any specific channel(s) affected? How is your V6 sound routed - are you using any A/V kit, or is this just HDMI to your TV?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @TwistedSteel,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you are having issue with sound on you V6 box. We can understand the frustration caused and we want to do our best to help. How long has this issue been ongoing for? How is the service with your broadband or WIFI? Have you also tried rebooting your TV box as seen here? https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-restart-or-reset-your-box#tab2

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

On demand is fine it is only with live TV, BBC 2 HD for example, right now (watching Wimbledon) is doing it every 5 minutes it seems, short break of the sound but picture still displays.

The sound is routed directly to the TV via a single HDMI cable, nothing fancy going on, no sound bar. I can almost guarantee it is something with the connection to the live TV service.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you try toggling PCM/stereo output via Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Audio

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I've just had a Virgin Media engineer in to fix this problem....

He mentioned the Audio settings fix just posted...but then replaced the whole box.

Maybe that will sort it

@japitts wrote:

All that would do is mixdown multichannel Dolby Digital encoded content or convert 2 channel Dolby Digital and result in you getting 2 channel PCM. This isn't a fix and simply acts as a workaround. You'd lose the ability to access DD 5.1 if and when available if you set the box to the PCM option.

There is no fix for the issue being discussed and I've had this issue for years. It has been apparent since the V6 box was originally launched. I've had boxes replaced, wiring replaced, a promise of a firmware expert calling me to investigate this further and nothing has been done to actually fix the problem.

Virgin Media basically mark the issue as being resolved and rectified each and every time they send someone out to try fix it. It has not however been fixed. The engineers who have called do insist on setting the box to the PCM setting and then pretend they've resolved the issue. Unfortunately for them, I know what that setting does and insist they set it back to how it was set.

The issue is obviously hardware related and an issue with the V6 box itself. If it weren't then they'd have fixed it by now instead of pretending the problem doesn't exist.

Thanks for the answers all, have tried the option and after another hour of Wimbledon (strictly for test purposes..) it does seem to have fixed it.

I don’t care too much for 5.1 as I use the TV speakers but something isn’t right here and as you have said, Virgin are not admitting this fault with the V6 box.

Thanks for trying what was suggested @TwistedSteel and I am glad to hear this appears to have fixed it. 

Let us know if you have any further problems. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs