cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: pluto tv app v6 box

parkerhelston
On our wavelength

AT my house we have 2 V6 boxes and Pluto TV freezes on both of them very frequently.  Even access Pluto via a web browser using my MacBook Pro hard wired to my router the same thing happens.  Makes the channel I want to view almost unwatchable (Star Trek Discovery S4!)  My VM connection is nominally 200mbps and I have no buffering issues with any other channels.  It can't be hardware related when three different pieces of kit suffer the same issue.  Does my common factor (my router) possibly need some kind of update?

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Logic in this scenario dictates there's 2 immediately obvious causes of this. One is the app, the other is the internet connection. The latter is easy to prove - you've mentioned "no buffering on other channels" but broadcast TV channels don't use the internet. OnDemand does - can you confirm whether using VoD works ok? If you're not sure, please try using it - find a programme in the TV Guide that has "watch from catchup" next to it, and see if it works.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi parkerhelston, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you are having an issue with the app. 

I've taken a look at the account and can see the Hub is working as it should be. The signal levels and power levels are optimal and there is nothing in the area to suggest issues either. 

I can see both your TV set top boxes are connected via WiFi so it may help to connect them via ethernet cable if possible. 

If not, try having a look at these tips and hints to see if they help improve your WiFi connection and therefore the app in the process. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kathy

I can confirm that sky on demand, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player all behave flawlessly with no buffering and connected via the Wi-Fi on my router so I don’t believe it is signal strength or a Wi-Fi problem.  Consequently I think it must be the Pluto app or the Pluto data source.

I have been having this problem for a while so have been googling any reports of problems with Pluto tv and tbh I have seen quite a bit of complaining about the freezing and buffering issues so it’s not just on VM but with other ISPs too.

it’s a shame that it’s being hyped-up as a great, free service and at least my experience has been that it’s nearly unwatchable with chunks of missed action leaving me in the lurch not knowing what has been missed 🙂

At least with ST Discovery, there are 3 chances to see each episode so you can get to see missed bits on the next days - but it’s still nowhere near as painless as all the other VOD services.

maybe there’ll be an update to the Pluto app sometime soon - I hope so.

apparently your not the only one suffering from this.... seems to be a Pluto problem lots of posts on internet regarding poor App performance..on any tv service providers platform

Hi parkerhelston, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the Pluto app, can you confirm if the app is running the latest software? Can you also confirm when logging in though the browser on a pc of you get the same issue? ^Chris

Hi Chris

I can confirm that using a browser on either of my two Macs (Safari or Chrome) i get the same issue. I don't have  PC to try it with so cannot tell if a PC Browser would have the issue as well (although it would be my guess that a PC would also see the problem). I am unable to see a way to force an update to the Pluto App on my V6 boxes but both are showing the same issue.  The macs are both being used over WiFi and it will be a bit of a faff to get either connected by wire to the router.  One of my V6 is within 2 feet of the router but is connected over wifi due to all the router ports being consumed - apple TV plus 2 NAS and a Homeplug connection 😞

Steve

Thank you @parkerhelston 

Are you able to add a picture or video of the error at all? 

Thanks again.

Hi Ash,

I am seriously unable to see any merit in taking a picture of a "frozen" Pluto TV programme screen or the animated rotating star in centre of screen while buffering is going on.  There are no error messages appearing screen, it is either a normal moving picture with sound when its OK or the picture freezes and sound stops for the duration of buffering and sometimes 10 and sometimes 30 seconds later the moving pictures with sound resume having "jumped" over the missed viewing seconds.  I can now also state that an LG Smart TV with the Pluto TV App preinstalled on it also exhibits this freezing and resuming phenomenon which is worse on some days than others.

Cheers

Steve

***UPDATE***

To avoid wasting anyone else’s time I need to update you all today.  I have just experienced more than two hours of flawless uninterrupted Pluto TV viewing and I suspect that what ever was causing my problem has actually been rectified externally as it’s working perfectly right now.  Hopefully I will not need to renew this thread with any further rrports of problem and I thank you all for expressing interest and trying to hep.