cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: V6 cannot connect to other box

Richie180480
Tuning in

Hi, just wondered if you managed to fix this and if so how? I have exactly the same issue (post power cut) and no matter what I do I cannot get the v6 boxes to see each other. (Worked fine beforehand)

Cheers. Rich

7 REPLIES 7

paulm844
Tuning in

It involved an engineer visit in the end. She did LOTS of messing about and trying all sorts of different things. She seemed to think it was related to a software update not pushing out to the router properly. 

I use my own routers (Orbi) plugged into the Hub and I had the Hub wifi turned off. In the end she had to turn it back on and now one box is connected via the Virgin wifi and the other is connected via Ethernet, whilst the rest of my devices use the Orbi network as usual. 

The only downside is if I want to use thr TVControl app to stream recordings in the house on my iPad or iPhone, I have to switch them back to the Virgin wifi rather than the Orbi one. It’s possible I would connect the V6 to Orbi and it’d be fine, but I’ve not dared risk it…just in case!

Thanks very much for responding so quickly, really appreciate it. Literally everything worked fine until the power went and now (despite 100% signal on both boxes, one wifi and one ethernet connected) I just can't connect.

The virgin app can see both and stream successfully so struggling to see what the issue is, only thing I have spotted is that the ip addresses seem to be slightly different on each box, but it could have been like that previously to be fair.

I'm now in the process of disconnection everything (again).

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Richie180480 

It's probably better to start your own thread if you have specific issues. @paulm844  is quite welcome to muck in with suggestions if they've previously ahd th same issues.

You don't seem to have said what error codes you're getting when you're (presumbly) trying to multiroom stream recordings - there's a few "usual suspects" but confirmation may help.

The main thing I usually ask/check is whether VoD works from both boxes. Putting the internet-connection piece to one side, the V6 <---> Hub connection is the same for all streaming, so if VoD works then you can at least tick-box that the STB is talking to your hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, thanks for the input. I think I have found where the issue is, removing the switch (which sat between EERO and V6 box) resolves the box to box connection.

However this then breaks the connection the games console had via the same switch. 

Just need to work out how to reset the switch to stabilise all devices as they were before the power cut.

Thanks for the update Richie180480, please keep us up to date with this.

Rob

So....just a tip for anyone that experiences similar problems - I seem to have found a way to fix it but can't explain why it works!

My connection is Virgin V6 > TP Link Swtich > EERO wireless hub. After the power cut the connection between boxes disappeared and would no longer find each other.

I removed the V6 to TP Link Switch connection and instead connected directly between V6 and EERO - connection re appeared between boxes and all functionality resumed. I THEN put the connection back as was (with the Switch connected to V6) and the connection remained stable.

The reason for this set up is that the EERO only has a single ethernet connection and so the switch is simply a pass through so I can connect multiple devices at once. Hope this helps someone. 🙂

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the update on this @Richie180480

I'm glad to managed to resolve the issue, we really appreciate you sharing this with the Community 🙂 

If you have any issues connecting the box from here, please let us know and we'll happily assist further. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide