cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Pixelated GB News

ALF28
Super solver

GB News Channel 626-sound-problem

My gb news has no image problems, but the sound keeps breaking up most evenings but also during daytime, with words missing during speech, a bit like stuttering or out of sync,happened tonight between 7.00pm and 8.00pm but is intermittant, so I switch to freeview. This has been happening for a while now, not just recently, for at least a month now. GB news has always had sound problems, but the freview channel 236  gb news has better sound quality than virgin channel 626

All other channels on my V6 TV box are fine, just channel 626 gb news.

Not sure if the issue is down to the gb news feed, virgin or my own equipment and wifi router,but wonder if others get this sound issue?

alf28

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ALF28 

Better to start your own thread than add to someone elses - I've done it for you.

I've not watched GB News long enough to see if there's any sound problems on VM's feed (and don't intend starting now, sorry!!), but I'd imagine if there were major issues there'd be a few posts on here asking about it. And there's not been..

You've alluded to your WiFi router, but that's got nothing to do with it. Live TV doesn't use the internet. That's used for OnDemand & streaming, not the broadcast channels.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ALF28 

Better to start your own thread than add to someone elses - I've done it for you.

I've not watched GB News long enough to see if there's any sound problems on VM's feed (and don't intend starting now, sorry!!), but I'd imagine if there were major issues there'd be a few posts on here asking about it. And there's not been..

You've alluded to your WiFi router, but that's got nothing to do with it. Live TV doesn't use the internet. That's used for OnDemand & streaming, not the broadcast channels.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for the reply, I still get sound breaking up on virgin channel 626 today, so can only suspect that it is a poor link from gb news to virgin.

It is only one of the news channel so I still also use bbc 601 and sky 603 but miss cnn 607 since it was removed.

No other comments so no one else has reported this, just me, perhaps no one is watching gb news?

alf28

I think you need to call faults - it seems to be a local issue for you.

@ALF28 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I still get sound breaking up on virgin channel 626 today, so can only suspect that it is a poor link from gb news to virgin.

It is only one of the news channel so I still also use bbc 601 and sky 603 but miss cnn 607 since it was removed.

No other comments so no one else has reported this, just me, perhaps no one is watching gb news?

alf28

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I switched to GB News to see if I could replicate your issue ALF, and I couldn't. 

No sound or picture issues on channel 626. I also checked it on Freeview and no issues.

Teesside area.

Have you tried unplugging your HDMI cable and then reseating it?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well I've "tolerated" GB news for 10minutes, and the picture/sound was fine.

So if @ALF28 is still having problems....

It's either a fault local to you, or specific to you. In either case, I'd follow ozsat's advice and report this. Either by phone or waiting around here. Calling will be immediate, waiting here won't be.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have checked the HMDI connection as suggested and will see if that has cleared the fault, I have a spare cable so can easily switch cable.

The fault may well be due to a bad connection so I will also check the incoming signal cables are all tight to the V6 which is connected to a 4db forward path equaliser that has aways been there. There may be an unknown fault with the V6, so will see how things go and report as a fault if it continues.

My area is close to Teesside and is Redcar and Cleveland.

Channel 626 is playing OK at the moment, but will monitor this.

alf28

Is Sky News HD OK on 602?

@ALF28 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have checked the HMDI connection as suggested and will see if that has cleared the fault, I have a spare cable so can easily switch cable.

The fault may well be due to a bad connection so I will also check the incoming signal cables are all tight to the V6 which is connected to a 4db forward path equaliser that has aways been there. There may be an unknown fault with the V6, so will see how things go and report as a fault if it continues.

My area is close to Teesside and is Redcar and Cleveland.

Channel 626 is playing OK at the moment, but will monitor this.

alf28

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

That is interesting, I can not get 602 sky news hd as my package is not HD, just 603 sky news. Although my TV is HD, it seems some channels in my virgin fun pack are HD such as ITV and gold are HD.

Looking at freeview there are 15 HD channels such as BBC 101.

I know the TV engineers always used sky news (233 freeview) to test the digital ariel signal as this is the hardest one to tune on freeview, but it moved to virgin 603 a short while ago and virgin 602 became sky news HD..

Virgin are switching channel numbers, 138 scfi moved to 139, sky arts 123 sky arts moved to 165, and added some extra HD channels and comedy channels.

I can see little difference between the SD channels and HD channels myself, but I think it makes a difference with sport.

626 is working ok at present.

The 4db equaliser may have some effect-?

Put simply, an equaliser is a frequency dependant attenuator. It helps to equalises signal level over the whole frequency range.

When signals are transmitted the different frequencies have different rates of loss so, for example, the higher frequencies may attenuate at twice the rate of lower frequencies (exagerated example). This could result in you having a signal which is ok (or too strong) at lower frequencies whilst its too weak at the higher frequencies, meaning the box may not pull in some channels.

In the above case the equaliser would be selected to simply attenuate the low frequencies to approximate what happens to the higher frequencies. This would compensate for the fact that the engineer had to initially set your signal so that the high frequencies were ok, meaning the lower ones were too strong, hence the need to attenuate them.

The cable from the equaliser has at the other end a short adaptor cable which converts the screw connection to the push fit on the V6 incoming signal. There are no attenuators, but I do have a device in the hub signal cable called a galvanic isolator (gives 2db loss)

alf28

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The only reason ozsat asked about Sky News HD is because it's carried on the same VM broadcast frequency as GB-News HD.

Any signal issue affecting one channel on that TX would affect all of them, so checking the others is a good test.

Freeview & Virgin are different platforms, although all digital TV services use the same multiplex methods of combining channels on one frequency.