cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple/Green picture V6 box

jackson_04
On our wavelength

This is a recent problem but everytime I turn the TV on and watch through the V6 box the picture is purple and green. Restarting the V6 box solves the problem initially but next time TV is turned on the picture is purple and green.

I have read through this forum and tried restarting the box swapping hdmi cables but to no avail.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you

jackson_04

44 REPLIES 44

Craig_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi R4949

I'm very sorry for the problems you've been experiencing with your TV service recently. 

Usually we ask users to create a new thread for a member of the team to take a closer look but I'd like to help in this situation anyway. 

I've been able to run some tests on the set top box and I'd like to arrange for a member of the team to come and take a closer look, if you're available? 

I'll send you information regarding this in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page. 

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Craig...

An engineer came round - saw the grren screen and said he never seen anything like it... he re-wiredeverything - no change - so he put a new V6 box in - same thing - went away saying "tv problem" on the form...

So I called and said I wanted to "downgrade" to a Tivo which has just arrived... not yet plugged in...

What to do? I don't mind having a Tivo...

D

Craig_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi D

I'd recommend trying the TiVo if you've already received it, if that still gives the same error with a different HDMI cable then I'd recommend trying another device on your TV, in case it is an issue with the TV. 

We'd love to hear how that goes

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi there, I have the same issue. Old box (18m old), HDMI and TV all worked fine. But green tinge appeared immediately with the new box (presume the new V6?) with the old TV and HDMI. 

I've since bought a new HDMI cable and new TV, but the issue is still there. 

I've tried all the tips here - turning the TiVo on after the TV, switching inputs and HDMI slots. It worked once, but not again - although sometimes it works for a second or so! Very frustrating. 

Needless to say, Virgin haven't offered anything useful over the phone, so they're sending an engineer on Monday. I very much doubt he/she will bring me an older TiVo box to use. And I'll certainly check it's working properly (turning off and on a few times) before they leave! 

Any tips to avoid Virgin shrugging their shoulders? Thanks in advance. 

av-115
Problem sorter

@robonn wrote:

Hi there, I have the same issue. Old box (18m old), HDMI and TV all worked fine. But green tinge appeared immediately with the new box (presume the new V6?) with the old TV and HDMI. 

I've since bought a new HDMI cable and new TV, but the issue is still there. 

I've tried all the tips here - turning the TiVo on after the TV, switching inputs and HDMI slots. It worked once, but not again - although sometimes it works for a second or so! Very frustrating. 

Needless to say, Virgin haven't offered anything useful over the phone, so they're sending an engineer on Monday. I very much doubt he/she will bring me an older TiVo box to use. And I'll certainly check it's working properly (turning off and on a few times) before they leave! 

Any tips to avoid Virgin shrugging their shoulders? Thanks in advance. 

Do you have any other equipment in between the V6 & your TV e.g an AVR? If no, it's almost certain the V6 is faulty as you've eliminated your TV and cables as being the culprit. I suspect the engineer will swap your V6 for another and the issue will go away.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited

@av-115 wrote: 
Do you have any other equipment in between the V6 & your TV e.g an AVR? If no, it's almost certain the V6 is faulty as you've eliminated your TV and cables as being the culprit. I suspect the engineer will swap your V6 for another and the issue will go away.

Thanks for the reply. Nope, nothing in between. I really hope you're right and a new V6 sorts it out... 

APeridot34
On our wavelength

I had my virgin service installed on the 15th and have the exact, same issue. I've swapped the HDMI cable over, tried another port on the tv (which is only a couple of years old)  i have to pull the HDMI cable out of the V6 box and put it back in again every time I switch it on to reset the colour, I can't imagine the box lasting long if I have to do that every time I switch it on.... 

Ben_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi APeridot34,

Sorry to hear this. 

What resolution does your TV Support? 

Thanks

Ben_N

APeridot34
On our wavelength

No idea, it's a Phillips smart tv...never had any issues with it before like this. Its HD, supports 3D and a whole lot more stuff I never use, even lights the wall up behind it..  Even tech savvy me (not) can work out this isn't the tv so please don't suggest it.  It seems a common issue with this box or rather it's initial communication with the tv since I get a normal picture when I take the HDMI cable out when it's switched on and put it back in again.  I've tried all sorts to get it to reset using the remotes to no avail. 

APeridot34
On our wavelength

I've noticed it says HD 1080p if that's any use?