cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems viewing recordings on 'other' box

Red_Wimp
On our wavelength

To be honest I'm a bit fed up of this considering how much I'm being asked to pay from next month.

Sick of rebooting V6 boxes in order to be able to watch a programme recorded on one box on the other.  It's literally every couple of days get V401 error code.  Couple of times even told me I didn't have a fast enough connection.  On top of that Netflix app keeps not playing shows through VM app, works if I go to app provided with TV, a reboot fixes it but must 4 times I've had to do this. 

Not good enough to be honest, I might as well save myself a small fortune and just rely on freeview at this rate.

Rant over

13 REPLIES 13

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All of these functions use the connection between your V6 and homehub, which can either be Ethernet cabled or wireless. You've not said whether yours is connected wirelessly or using Ethernet - but if it's wireless, that's the first potential source of issues.

So how is yours connected? If it's wireless, what's the signal strength? Follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and report what the V6 says in the top-right.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Red_Wimp
On our wavelength

Well one box is wireless one Ethernet.

Wireless box is 72% good (sic)

The TV own wi-fi connection was good enough to work Netflix when the app wasn’t.

Like I said I can reboot and will work for a few days.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is that the signal strength now, when presumably it's working OK? Or when you have problems streaming?

Can you use VoD (OnDemand) OK when streaming is problematic?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Red_Wimp
On our wavelength

No it’s not working now, VzOD & Netflix do but haven’t done my daily reboot today.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So what's the signal strength showing as now? Can you "connect to Virgin Media services now" from the same screen? Then retry using OnDemand/multiroom streaming after doing so.

Are the 6hourly connections home - timestamped on the LHS - working ok?

Red_Wimp
On our wavelength
  • Yes has been showing as successfully connecting and does when I select test connection but still won’t play from other box

Hi @Red_Wimp,

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you are having issues with recordings across your TV boxes. We can understand the inconvenience caused and we want to best help.

Just to confirm, are you accessing recording as seen here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-watch-recordings-on-another-tv-box#v6. Also, are both boxes connected to the same network?

Please get back to me when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are the issues always when trying to stream in the same direction, i.e. box A > box B?

How about if you swap the boxes around?

Red_Wimp
On our wavelength

Yes normal multi-room set-up as I have used for a number of years.

Have tried again rebooting the hub and both V6 boxes in order.

The box with the ethernet connection plays a few seconds and then pauses then plays a few more and then pauses etc

The wi-fi connected box just gives 401 error still.