Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Previous channel buffer?

I've just returned from having Sky Q for a few years, after being a "day 1" install of VM's Tivo back in... Around 2010-ish?

Anyways, when I left I still liked Tivo but I had gotten a little frustrated at how slow the interface had become, and the low resolution graphics. Sky Q did seem like a refreshing overhaul, and it was good to see a different take on things... And it was great to have a snappy user experience again.

That said, Virgin / Tivo's "snapping" when pressing play after fast-forward/re-winding was sorely missed, even a few years on, it was something we never quite got used to.

The series links don't work as well, either.

But the thing we missed the most was being able to change channel and then go back to the previous channel... Safe in the knowledge that we still had the recording buffer because one of the several tuners had locked on to the previous channel.

It was a fantastic feature that saved us from accidental knocks of the remote, or allowed us to see if there was something else we wanted to watch and check it out before committing to giving up the program we were watching.

But looking now, this feature has gone? With 6 tuners instead of the old Tivo's 3, using one o fate tuners for this makes sense to me?

Especially when you consider so much content available on catch-up or on demand these days compared to three years ago, it's rare that we need to record 2 or 3 things at once? Let alone 6?

So it just didn't stack up in my head so I thought I'd post here to see if the feature is there but I'm doing something wrong, or to confirm if it really has gone?

Sky Q never had this feature, so I'd already lost it three years ago... But as I say was really looking forward to having it back... But if it's gone, it seems a backwards step...

And I hope this post doesn't come across negative - I'm really happy with the Virgin TV service, and glad I've returned! Just a genuine question about a feature we (in our house) used to enjoy and were hoping to use again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Previous channel buffer?

The operation of V6’s six tuners is exactly the same as previously with TiVo’s three.

To be able to use the Last Ch button, both the channels must already be attached (hence buffering) to a tuner.

If all six tuners are attached to channels and you swap to a channel which was not previously being buffered, you cannot use Last Ch to go back to the previous channel as its buffer will have been flushed.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_C wrote:

The operation of V6’s six tuners is exactly the same as previously with TiVo’s three.

To be able to use the Last Ch button, both the channels must already be attached (hence buffering) to a tuner.

If all six tuners are attached to channels and you swap to a channel which was not previously being buffered, you cannot use Last Ch to go back to the previous channel as its buffer will have been flushed.

I understand that if all 6 tuners are already attached that the Last Ch button can't be used.

But what I am experiencing is no recordings at all taking place, so only 1 tuner is in use for the channel that I am watching, and it is buffering. I then change channel, and the new channel starts buffering. I use the Last Ch button, and the original channel's buffer has gone. This is happening on both boxes.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but if nothing's recording and no tuners are attached apart from the channel you're watching, when you change channel if there is an available tuner, it should use it to keep the previous channel's buffer. This is how our old Tivo used to work, but this isn't happening with our new V6 boxes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Immediately after a restart of a V6, it will be buffering the last channel you were watching and the other five tuners will be attached to and buffering channel 998.

In this circumstance, if you swap the current channel to another, it buffers the new channel and closes the buffer on the previous channel so you can’t use Last Ch to go to the previous channel with a full buffer. All other channels would still be connected to 998.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped