Menu
fletch26
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Power line adapters not received with TiVo V6 free upgrade

When I recently signed up for the TIVo V6 free upgrade I did not receive the mentioned power line adapters even though I selected the TiVo 6 is not in the same room as the broadband router.

Is anyone able to look into this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Power line adapters not received with TiVo V6 free upgrade

It supports wifi so doesn't really matter if it is in a different room.
I run mine off wifi and works perfectly well a couple of rooms away from the hub
0 Kudos
fletch26
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, do you stream HD recorded content from one TiVo box to another?  

I’m also thinking when / if recordable 4K content finally does arrive, how will that stream from one box to another via WIFI.  Via power lines that shouldn’t be problem.

0 Kudos
jtk300
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The same has just happened to me, i phoned them and they said it was not on the order but when i checked the email they sent confirming the order it was clearly on there. i was told the orders even though its done online are manually entered . which seems a bit strange but after a lot of scratching of heads at their end they sent one . but it had to be charged then credited to my account. not ideal but acceptable.below is a screen grab of the part of the email saying

what i ordered. i mentioned that my father has his coming next week with a powerline ordered , so i said will the same happen with his and he said most likely. definitely a problem with their order system

Snap_19 February 2018_19h06m48s_001_.jpg

0 Kudos
fletch26
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks jtk300, I’ve seen the powerline kit listed on my email now too.  Is anyone from Virgin Media who checks these forums able to sort this out for me? I’d rather not have to phone up and you guys have helped me with all sorts of issues in the past. Thanks all!

6F816BE3-D8F3-4AA1-8C63-2DE894DDCD35.jpeg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@BinghamBlokewrote:
It supports wifi so doesn't really matter if it is in a different room.
I run mine off wifi and works perfectly well a couple of rooms away from the hub

Just to say you need WiFi without any contention issues. I first set up my kit on 2.4Ghz wireless. Lovely strong signal but it would not stream iPlayer in HD or any recordings from the other box. A WiFi scan found all the available channels in use by at least 12 other neighbouring hubs, so changing channels on this band was pointless. Moved the box to 5Ghz. Signal a lot weaker but worked immediately. Kept working for 2 weeks then same issue again. WiFi scan then found 2 other users on my 5Ghz channel that weren't there before. Managed to find one clear channel & again streaming has returned.

In short you can use WiFi, but be prepared for issues at any time.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

sjholland
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My second V6 box is in a different room about 30 yards away from the router and other box, but on the same floor. The wifi strength is between half and two thirds of the other box which is beside the router and connected with ethernet. Streaming between boxes and using the apps on either is fine.

That said, all the walls between the 2 boxes are false walls and my house is at the end of a terrace. I guess the Hub 3 really is an "entry level" router.

0 Kudos
fletch26
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I did update the post abit further down, however I wanted the powerlines to future proof for the eventually of streaming recorded 4K content from one box to another further down the line if and when VM finally get round to offering it.  Obviously I’d also need 2 V6 boxes in order to achieve this. As currently only have 1 V6 and 1 TiVo 500gb.

I think perhaps the mods should close this, I’ll phone them on 150 like the previous guy did.

Cheers all !

0 Kudos
GoldenBrown
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have also had issues over the last fortnight with broadband dropping out. When I phoned Virgin said it was a problem with wifi strength and the number of devices (2 V6 boxes, 2 ipads and 2 iphones). I couldn't understand why this would happen as I've has the 2 V6s for 2 months with no problem. The suggestion was to buy powerline adaptors, so it interesting to see that some customers have been given these as part of their package. It's not surprising that there are issues with wifi channels as almost all of our estate is cabled since it was one of the first in Edinburgh to be done by United Artists.
0 Kudos