Menu
AmusingUserName
Tuning in
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Play TiVo Recordings on V6 Box

There's a link that appears at the bottom of the category listing (I. E. The left hand column) in My Shows where you then choose which box. As I've only got one is a bit annoying it can't just link straight through to the bedroom box but I guess there are others who have more.

Once selected it is weirdly like using the other box in person. The menus are the same, you can delete, amend series links, etc. Speed is also surprising. There is a little pause when you first select play but if anything I would say is faster than the actual Tivo box! Fast forward, rewind, everything is very responsive.
Eyebee
Joining in
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I am having a V6 installed next week, and looking to set up something similar. What powerline adaptors did you end up gettin?  Then if I have a similar isue, I'll know what to buy. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CamiVM
Joining in
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I ended up buying this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00UTG32TQ/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They've been generally fine, on the odd occasion I get an error halfway through streaming from the other box, but on the whole it has been working as expected!
0 Kudos
3Dornot3D
Joining in
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry to sound so naive and ignorant (well I am 76 or maybe 100 in computer/electronic years!) but could I ? :

1.    Disconnect the aerial lead from TiVo box , connect an HDMI lead from TiVo to V6 . Then watch my old TiVo box recordings.

2,   Or, disconnect aerial from TiVo        Connect V6  box to TV via ethernet cable        Add a powerline somewhere in this configuration

plug a powerline thing into wall socket  (technical term)            Link TiVo box to V6 via these things

Then would 'Bob be my uncle'? and I would be able to watch my recorded stuff from either TiVo or V6

The TiVo box would ONLY be used to watch previously recorded  content.

Sorry to be so obtuse and many thanks to those of you who  have tried to help me and other tech Virgins  with this Virgin Media induced dilemma .

0 Kudos
Hughjarrse
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Short answer is no

You can still watch the recordings on the old box for a few weeks after the new box has gone in before the tivo software locks the old box.

Mine is still working 2 weeks after the Tivo 6 went in

All you need to do is plug both boxes in with hdmi leads to the tv hdmi sockets and power em up.

No need for the old tivo box to be connected to the Virgin network - if you do that then it will be de-activated sooner.

When doing the upgrade disconnect the Tivo-500 and plug the tivo-6 in - that way the box wont be de-activated and will last a few weeks before the tivo sftware auto deactivates the box.

I am of course presuming you are only paying for one box.

Either way watching the old recordings is time dependant and unless you have a time dilation device to allow you to travel back in the time continuum to watch the old recordings then you are stuffed - I hope that elucidates somewhat!

0 Kudos
3Dornot3D
Joining in
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Hughjarrse, sounds good to me.

If only one could stop the TiVo box deactivating...  

I believe if one travels close to the speed of light, then time slows down.  Probably as hard to do this as it is to get VM to explain why recordings already made cannot be accessed with a new super duper V6!

0 Kudos
Olly
Fibre optic
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Hughjarrse wrote:

Short answer is no

You can still watch the recordings on the old box for a few weeks after the new box has gone in before the tivo software locks the old box.

Mine is still working 2 weeks after the Tivo 6 went in

All you need to do is plug both boxes in with hdmi leads to the tv hdmi sockets and power em up.

No need for the old tivo box to be connected to the Virgin network - if you do that then it will be de-activated sooner.

When doing the upgrade disconnect the Tivo-500 and plug the tivo-6 in - that way the box wont be de-activated and will last a few weeks before the tivo sftware auto deactivates the box.

I am of course presuming you are only paying for one box.

Either way watching the old recordings is time dependant and unless you have a time dilation device to allow you to travel back in the time continuum to watch the old recordings then you are stuffed - I hope that elucidates somewhat!

Can I clarify what you mean by this bit ...

When you say disconnect one and plug in the V6 do you mean to the power point or the Virgin cable?

Also re the stream from a tivo in another room I understand the V6 has to be connected to a hub. .I don't have a superhub just a normal one will that work? I also have a Virgin cable point in a bedroom where an old V+ box used to be installed that I could connect my old tivo to but no way to access my Hub it's too far away I think? I read about people talking about a power point/line or something like that in this thread but I don't get what they mean?  I am hoping I can get away with just having the V6 and then watching the recordings from my Tivo before scratching it but not sure if I can get thru what is on there before they switch me off from it ..

I realise I sound like I am rambling but trying to get to grips with how the V6 works and what is needed..  I am sort of a techy person and like to know how something works and what I need to get in advance to make sure it does and so far the V6 sounds pretty complicated because I can't 'see' it and how it works only read what people are saying. .Only thing I can work out is I need another very long Ethernet cable for it to reach my hub [current long cable is attached to smart TV], if that works and if I don't need a new hub too..

any help appreciated cheers  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos