cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixellation on recording of Beck on BBC4 HD two weeks in a row.

YonderBluRay
On our wavelength

I live in South Gloucestershire, and for the last two Saturdays my V6 box recordings of Beck on BBC4 HD have been too pixellated to be watchable. I've resorted to watching on a computer using iPlayer, but that's not what I pay Virgin Media for.

-------------------------------------
Structured searchable documentation beats random FAQs any day.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Different channel groups are on different frequencies, and a signal-fault can sometimes only affect particular frequencies. I'd be minded to agree with you about your internal cabling, but it could be a fault with your outside connections.

It may be that your box isn't at fault, and by not reporting it, you just delay the fix. The worst that can happen is the tech does what they do, identify the box as needing replacing, and you then politely decline.

Upto you though.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm not a million miles from you, and have no problems with BBC4-HD. So this is either a fault with your TV signal, or your box's hard drive.

Try watching BBC4-HD live to see if you have any problems with the incoming TV signal. Then try pausing the channel for perhaps 30seconds and watch it delayed - this is effectively a recording and uses your V6's hard drive the same.

You can watch the programme using your V6's CatchUp/iPlayer facility. From the same screen you'd use to press "watch now" on your recording, scroll down to "related videos" and select "watch from CatchUp".

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for the reply.

I don't suspect the box's hard drive as the vast majority of my recordings on other channels are fine.

I rarely watch live TV, but I've now sampled BBC Four HD, and pixellation is common. I have yet to find any other channels that have the same issue, and I'm unaware of whether Virgin cable supplied channels are grouped in the same way as over-the-air ones are. If only one channel is problematic, doesn't that suggest that the Virgin source is the issue, as the "signal" my box receives is a multiplexed digital one?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You're absolutely right about multiplexing - on VM's network, BBC4-HD is shared with TJC-HD, CBBC-HD & CBeebies-HD (there are other pay channels, but these 3 should be FTV with all bundles.

If any of those are similarly pixellated, then you almost certainly have a signal fault. One box reboot is always recommended, if it persists then...

Call 0800 5610061 to check for existing faults, and if nothing's reported... 150 (from a VM phone), 0345 4541111 (from any other phone) or wait here (could be an extra day or two) for staff to pick up.

Thanks again, especially for the channel group info.
I've tried TJC-HD, CBBC-HD & CBeebies-HD and I've seen pixellation on all of them to varying degree.

Back in 2020 (08 Aug), you wrote:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Pixellation and picture breakup are symptoms of a problem with your incoming signal. If you've rebooted the box once and live TV channels are still breaking up, then there's a problem either with your box tuners or your cabling somewhere.

If you can identify specific channels that are affected, then that may pinpoint "groups" of channels which may be carried over the same part of VM's broadcast network. But ultimately you need to call VM TV Faults to report your problem. 150 from a VM landline, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone, and follow the option for "I have a fault with my TV service".

Just be quite firm (if necessary) that you have already rebooted your box and it hasn't resolved - that you need either an engineer visit or a box swap. Only Virgin can decide which is appropriate, but endless reboots and "sending signals" (as some agents have been known to try) will not solve this fault.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The first two sentences confuse me. If I've rebooted my box and my cabling is OK, then the problem is with the incoming signal, and that indicates an issue at Virgin's end doesn't it? I don't know the technical details of the box tuners, but don't see how the internal electronics could have difficuty with one channel group.

Clearly a box swap would lose all my recordings which is very undesirable.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What's your basis for saying that your cabling is ok?

If you have rebooted once, then yes - there's a fault with your equipment or installation somewhere, and VM will need to have "hands and eyes" physically (i.e. this can't be fixed remotely) on your kit to investigate and rectify.

You'll almost certainly need an engineer visit - unfortunately if they diagnose a box-fault then it will need swapping out and yes - you'll lose all your recordings.

I guess I'm saying my cabling is OK because the condition of the cables inside my walls is unlikely to deteriorate, and if it did I can't see how it would create a channel group specific fault.

I'll have to review what to do about my unwatched recordings and those end of season ones that I was hoping to keep until the next season starts before I consider a box swap. It's a shame that Virgin can't transfer recordings from one box to another.

Thanks again for your help

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Different channel groups are on different frequencies, and a signal-fault can sometimes only affect particular frequencies. I'd be minded to agree with you about your internal cabling, but it could be a fault with your outside connections.

It may be that your box isn't at fault, and by not reporting it, you just delay the fix. The worst that can happen is the tech does what they do, identify the box as needing replacing, and you then politely decline.

Upto you though.