cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixellating pictures

TDuckmanton
Tuning in

We are suffering from intermittent pixellation on several channels. it has been happening for a while now. The service website says no problems at the moment in the Guildford area. Is anybody else having problems in the Westborough area of Guildford?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again TDuckmanton,

The service status line is automated.

Do you have a family member, friend or neighbour that could phone that number and listen to see if your postcode is mentioned?

It would be really helpful if you could provide a list on here of the channels you are having problems with, and whether they are HD or SD.

The VM channels are carried on muxes like Freeview so don't correspond with their position in the EPG.

So by giving us the above information we can check if the channels are on the same mux.

If they are then we can probably avoid you having to use the phone and give the Forum Team a prod to arrange either an engineer visit or new box.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi TDuckmanton,

If nothing is showing  when you check the Service Status you could also try the  Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level. VM aren't usually aware of issues until customers report them.

Have you checked all your cabling is snug and tight, especially the white coaxial cable?

Also have you tried a different HDMI cable or port?

Any error messages showing on screen?

Is the pixelating just on live channels, or also on Catchup/On Demand or apps?

Please can you list a few of the channels, including if they are HD or SD?

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixelated video is usually a sign of signal issues at your property. If there is nothing showing on the service status, then everything is OK up to the street cabinet you are using. Beyond this there is no automatic monitoring, so if there is an issue with the drop line to your house or any of the connections therein VM will not be aware of them & you need to call faults. CS staff may be able to run diagnostics from your box to find any issues & book a tech visit to resolve any problems found.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

And just to complete a hat-trick of replies, I'll add my stock answer to all pixellation queries....

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

TDuckmanton
Tuning in

Hi all,

Thanks for all the helpful replies, as an ex TV Service Engineer albeit an analogue one, I am well aware that this is most likely to be a low signal problem. What I didn't know at the time of writing was whether the problem was local to me or a wider network problem. I didn't know about the Service Status number so I must thank newapollo and japitts for that information. I hate using phones (I'm hard of hearing) but I will have to give it a go.

Thanks once again to newapollo, nodrogd, and japitts for their helpful comments. Wish me luck as I gird the loins, pick up the phone and struggle to work out what is going on.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again TDuckmanton,

The service status line is automated.

Do you have a family member, friend or neighbour that could phone that number and listen to see if your postcode is mentioned?

It would be really helpful if you could provide a list on here of the channels you are having problems with, and whether they are HD or SD.

The VM channels are carried on muxes like Freeview so don't correspond with their position in the EPG.

So by giving us the above information we can check if the channels are on the same mux.

If they are then we can probably avoid you having to use the phone and give the Forum Team a prod to arrange either an engineer visit or new box.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

I hadn't considered the possibility of a group of multiplexed channels going down together, put it down to old age. I will now take note of which channels are doing what and when. I tend to watch an awful lot of BBC1, but not always on HD because of the way the news programme works, BBC1 is prone to pixellating but I can't tell you for sure if it is 101 or 108 or both. Other than that I mostly watch films on whichever channel they happen to be. Film 4, not HD, is particularly bad. There is also the possibility that the V6 box is up the spout since I tend to record films and watch them in my own time.

I guess I am just going to have to report my problem to Virgin Media and let them sort it out.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again TDuckmanton,

Please can you check all the cabling is tight and free of kinks especially the white coaxial cable as that can cause pixelation although that would likely be on most channels.

Also please can you check Film4 +1, also ITV3 SD and ITV3 +1.  They are on the same mux as Film4 SD and if they are pixelated that would suggest a signal fault which would require an engineer appointment.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

BBC1 is SD on 101, and HD on 108 - if you press the "info" button on an SD channel, then there's a prompt to "press blue" for the HD version.

Channels being carried in "multiplexes" or small clusters is how all digital TV platforms work, but many people assume that the clusters bear resemblance to the EPG (TV guide) positions which is very rarely the case.

It can sometimes help if you have low-level problems, to tie the issue to a particular mux, but it's unlikely to prove anything here that you don't already suspect.

@TDuckmanton wrote:

I guess I am just going to have to report my problem to Virgin Media and let them sort it out.

By far the best idea - you can wait around here, and staff will pick your post up after 24-48 hours (maybe longer during the weekend) or call and have it progressed immediately.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @TDuckmanton,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear you are having these issues. A big thanks to all our VIP's who have helped so far.

I have taken a look at your account and we have identified a fault with your TV service that will require a technician visit to fix.

Will pop you a PM now so we can get the visit arranged. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs