cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel picture

Gstaples1
Tuning in

The picture on all channels (some worse than others) has been pixilating for a while now. Is there something I can do my end before ringing up and getting someone called out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Try checking the coaxial cable that runs from your internal Virgin wall box to the back of your set top box hasn't become loose at either end.

If you can unscrew either end with your fingers then they maybe too loose. I tend to screw mine 1/8th turn more than 'finger tight' as a rule.

These coaxial cables are very thick and stiff and have been know to unscrew themselves if jostled and/or have been moved around.

If that fails, then do call the engineers.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Morning @GStaples, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and a very warm welcome to you!

Can you please confirm that you've been able to read and follow the advice offered by @Rajxix70 to see if this resolves the TV picture issues?

If this has been tried and not worked, we will be better placed to assist further

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

I can confirm I've tried all the cable connections and it's still doing it. It seems worse on some channels more than others which it's a little perplexing as I'd of thought it would be constant throughout.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Gstaples1 wrote:

It seems worse on some channels more than others which it's a little perplexing as I'd of thought it would be constant throughout.

Not at all. Digital TV platforms broadcast channels in small groups known as multiplexes.

Pixellation is the effect of poor signal affecting the frequency that a particular multiplex is carried on.

So you have a signal fault only affecting certain frequencies. Channels carried on multiplexes using those frequencies, pixellate. Multiplexes on "clean" frequencies are unaffected, and those channels won't pixellate.

Hey Gstaples1, thank you for the update and sorry to hear that it's still pixelated. 

Thank you for trying the cables, please can I just check if this is all channels or just a certain one?  

Have you tried using a different HDMI cable?

Could you also let me know if when you access apps are pixelated too?

Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Out of interest, have you tried any on the non-linear content from the box? 

i.e. BBC iPlayer or YouTube?

This would, at least, rule out the HDMI cable.

I haven't tried a different cable to be honest. It seems to happen on most of the channels, some more than others. The apps seem to be ok no pixelating happening that I've seen.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Gstaples1 wrote:

I haven't tried a different cable to be honest. It seems to happen on most of the channels, some more than others. The apps seem to be ok no pixelating happening that I've seen.

If streaming, OnDemand or app-based viewing is unaffected, you've proven the point that needs eliminating.

As per my original post in this thread, pixellation on live TV is often indicative of a signal fault. Any viewing that is internet-base (OnDemand, streaming, apps) don't use the same method of transmission and exhibit different symptoms. Other replies thus far have suggested changing your HDMI cable - this is a valid troubleshooting method if, and only if, all viewing is affected regardless of source.

If internet-based viewing is unaffected, then this reverts to this being a signal-fault. Sometimes if particular channels can be identified as worse affected, these may be the ones carried on particular frequencies/clusters. In this case, that may be useful but I don't think will change the end advice. One reboot, then you're likely to need a tech visit.