cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture keeps flashing black

gjmalone
Tuning in

For the last week or so the picture on a number of channels will continuously flash to black for a couple of seconds before returning to normal. During this time the sound still comes through perfectly. These black flashes will occur every 4-5 minutes which has became increasingly annoying.

I have tried rebooting the box both through the settings menu and manually at the mains, changing HDMI cables, HDMI inputs on the TV, output resolution from the TiVo box and the issue remains. Could anyone please advise what the next steps should be?

Thank you in advance

8 REPLIES 8

chaoshusky
Dialled in

That honestly sounds like either a box fault, or could be an indication of signal power being out of spec. Do you also have a Router from Virgin that you could post the diagnostic logs from? That will tell us the power levels you are receiving at your property which would be the first cause for such problems. Even though my V6 box is a little unwell at the moment (recently froze/wouldn't do anything for 2 days, click of death from the HDD - then it seemed to do a firmware update (likely corruption recovery) and burst back to life again!) strangely the picture does not blank. This could also be caused by excessive electrical or radio interference, so make sure your box can 'breathe' and ensure no noisy equipment is operating on or near any cables, your co-ax feed, Router or V6 box.

My own TV sometimes has the picture blank at random due to electrical noise, from any input either through my AV amp or direct to the TV. That is of course related to my cheap 4K TV lol but you'd be surprised just how much interference equipment has to cope with now!

Kindest regards,

Lee

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From the top...

Is this a TiVo or a V6? You've referred to both - check here if you want to double-check.

You've mentioned "a number of channels" - can you give any specific examples? (including SD/HD)

Third - you've mentioned changing your video output settings. What are they currently set to, and what have you tried?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It is a V6 Box, apologies.

To be honest it pretty much seems to be all of them it will happen on, just more frequent on some rather than others.

BBC1 HD, ITV1, ITV1 HD, C4, C5 HD, ITV2 HD, Comedy Central HD, MTV, E4 HD

For video output I have checked 2160p, 1080p and even 720p, black flickering on all of them.

Thanks Lee, would you be able to let me know the quickest method of getting the diagnostic logs from the router please and I'll happily post! 🙂

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What's the make & model of your TV?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Samsung UE50TU8507UXXU 4K HDR

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I wouldn't think, that on the basis of what's been posted here thus far, this is anything to do with signal levels. There are other symptoms I'd expect to see in  that scenario, that haven't been mentioned, although I'm not saying it's impossible.

I'll hunt out a copy of the users manual a little later.

Hi there @gjmalone 

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to hear that this is happening with your TV.

I can see on your account you have contacted us recently via our phone lines, can I ask how things are looking now and if you were able to resolve this issue over the phone with us? 

Thank you.