cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture breaking up on BBC4 and Sky Arts

Surreyuser
Joining in

Both BBC4 and Sky Arts are unwatchable due to picture breaking up.

Are these 2 channels on the same transmitter. Been going on for well over a month or so now.

All connections into box are fine and as far as I can tell no other HD Channels are affected. Any advice please.

Guildford area.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sky Arts HD is on the same broadcast mux as BBC4-HD, the SD version is separate.

So the standard advice to all pixellation queries applies.... just with some slight curiosity over whether you're reported the fault in the month it's been happening?

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sky Arts HD is on the same broadcast mux as BBC4-HD, the SD version is separate.

So the standard advice to all pixellation queries applies.... just with some slight curiosity over whether you're reported the fault in the month it's been happening?

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Surreyuser

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies for the TV pixelation issues. 

I've had a check on the system today and nothing is showing; No area issues, the tuners on the box are all fine as are the input levels etc. 

Is this pixelation still happening? If so, the first thing we'd ask you to do is to check both the co-ax cable in the TV box itself and also the splitter cables are both finger tight. 

Let us know 🙂 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John

Still having picture break up on those 2 channels so much so that they are unwatchable. Strange as no other channels seem to be affected.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Surreyuser wrote:

Strange as no other channels seem to be affected.

Digital TV platforms carry channels in clusters which don't always correlate to their EPG positions.

The same cluster on VM also carries Sky Sports Mix HD, TJC HD, ITV Be HD, CBBC HD, CBeebies HD & Sky Arts HD

A signal fault affecting one of these should affect them all.

Hello,

Yes your right all those channels are affected but I don't think the problem is at this end.

Is anybody else affected?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Surreyuser wrote:

Is anybody else affected?

If there was a recognised area fault, it would be reported on the service status line previously mentioned.

What makes you say that you don't think the problem is at your end? This is borderline just my curiosity, as there's clearly a fault somewhere.

Well it's because John from the team has remotely checked the  box and nothing is showing. He says that all seems normal with the box, unless I've misunderstood, which is probably quite likely.

Hi Surreyuser,

Can you confirm if you've checked whether the cables are tight and secure as John has suggested?

Alex_Rm

It's strange but both Sky Arts and BBC4 were fine yesterday so I shall keep an eye on it and report back if the problem returns.

Thanks for all your assistance.