Menu
needforwifi
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Partial recordings on Virgin V6 Tivo Box

I've been having issues with partial recordings for over a year now without any resolution. I've had an engineer out to inspect as well as a brand new virgin box sent to me but the issues continue. What's going on with the Virgin service??

The partial recordings seem to coincide with the box restarting for no apparent reason. I get at least 1-2 partial recordings per week, see screenshots below and no issues show up in the Recording Hiccups.

It's to a point now where I can't rely on the virgin box to record something and need to find the show via an alternate means and basically paying for virgin tv but getting nothing out of it!

Please help if someone else has experienced this and found a solution. Thanks!

IMG_0757.jpgIMG_0756.jpgIMG_0758.jpg

0 Kudos
panostar
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Partial recordings on Virgin V6 Tivo Box

Could it be that at the time of your recording failures you have overlapping recordings or maybe a recording finishing in the background while watching live? I have had trouble with recordings of Emmerdale and Coronation street, which do overlap. The recording settings have 1 minute early start and a 4 minute overrun.  When I had faults in the Coronation Street recordings, they occurred 5 minutes in, which happens to coincide with the exact time the Emmerdale recordings are closing down.  The net result is sometimes a system reboot and sometimes truncated recordings.  I have had two quirks in Coronation Street recordings in the last 7 days when playing back the recordings: when I get to the 5 minutes in point (4 minutes into the actual program), the playback jumps back to the very beginning of the recording and you see the first part twice!  I had the box replaced last year but it behaves just the same.  (Search for "recording failures" to find the previous long thread relating my problems when you have an hour or two to read through it all).

0 Kudos
needforwifi
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Panostar,

Thanks for your reply, I read through the v6 recording failures posts and it sounds similar to issues I'm having. The box restarts on its own, randomly, and cuts off the recording. However, what's different is I can't see any pattern or consistency to when I get partial recordings. Like you, I have my recording options set to 1 minute before and 4 minutes after.

I've had three more recording failures since posting Smiley Sad

Partial recording times I've tracked so far:

• 17 min partial record on a Sunday at 8pm
  • 1hr 37 min partial record on a Sunday at 8pm
  • 1hr 5 min partial record on a Sunday at 8pm
  • 46 min partial record on a Monday at 11:25pm
  • 32 min partial record on a Friday at 10:35pm
  • 52 min partial record on a Tuesday at 9pm
  • 52 min partial record on a Tuesday at 9pm
  • 6 sec partial record on a Tuesday at 9pm
  • 1hr 41min partial record on a Monday at 9pm
  • 43 min partial record on a Friday at 10:35pm
  • 17 min partial record on a Tuesday at 9pm 

Some problems I see a pattern but then others break that pattern.

I'm really frustrated by this! I can't rely on the V6 box to record anything in full anymore and I'm paying full price for it.

Virgin moderators - any ideas?? I've already had the box replaced one a month ago so a faulty box can't be the problem.

0 Kudos
panostar
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Your fault doesn't look quite the same as mine but might still be the result of V6 mishandling simultaneous multiple recordings and/or other events like switching channels. Are you able to eliminate overlapping recordings as being a factor in these failures?  I.e. do you generally have only one program being scheduled for recording at the time failures occur? (You may have to turn off "Suggestions" to avoid programs not selected by yourself from being recorded simultaneously in the background).

0 Kudos