Menu
Highlighted
ynysygwas
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

PIN pointless and annoying

Why is the pre watershed PIN forced upon us? Yesterday I tried watching a kids' film Avengers Infinity War and was asked to enter my pin. I couldn't be bothered and just flicked through the Sky film channels instead. I chanced upon Spartacus (the 1960 version) which did not need a pin.

Almost immediately it featured a naked Jean Simmons swimming around before having a cwtch with Kirk Douglas. Spartacus then kills his best friend in a close quarter sword fight to the death.

The film ends with Sparatacus dying on the cross and shows the hundreds of crucified slaves dead on their crosses as Peter Ustinov and Jean Simmons drive away in their cart.

What is the logic in a pin for Avengers Infinity War, which everyone knows is a Marvel fantasy, but none for a violent Spartacus, based on historical fact?

Isn't it time we were just given the choice of simply watching or not watching rather than 'relying' on someone else's opinion as to what is OK to watch? Given that these people clearly don't know what every film's content depicts what right have they to decide what needs a PIN and what doesn't?

Rant inspired by failing battery in remote causing delay in entering pin and missing start of film!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: PIN pointless and annoying

Ofcom rules for movies on sky movies 🙂

doesn't apply for other channels AFAIK

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
ynysygwas
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying.
I didn't know it was down to Ofcom rules. I've had a look around since and a non removeable pin system is a requirement to show films classified 12A or 15 before the 8pm and 9pm watershed. So I suppose before the pin rule watching a 12 rated film at 4pm wouldn't have even been an option!

Still, it feels like government interference and rather patronising to be asked to confirm that I really do want to watch this film! I've retired from the NHS and spent years working in A&E so nothing much left in any film to shock me now. Certainly a tale of fictional superheroes and villains won't give me nightmares.

I suppose that's what government departments do. They decide and then tell us they know what's best for us, even when a referendum sometimes says otherwise!

Brexpin anyone??
0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

the rule has continued to be enforced by successive governments, labour and conservative.

i read someone did go their mp about it. the argument they were given is that sky movies usually show films uncut. also even if you have no kids doesn't mean none could find themselves watching an 18 rated film at say 330pm. for example neighbours children, whilst you are talking in the kitchen with their parents.

nanny state, maybe. although the recent rises in violence by young people could end up making things worse, certainly if one says 'i saw it on eastenders'.
0 Kudos
ynysygwas
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

True but I wasn't talking about 18 rated films. Spartacus is PG and Avengers Infinity War is a 15.
So I needed a pin to watch a fantasy scifi Superhero movie but could watch a naked actress swimming, gladiators slashing themselves to a bloody death, being crucified and a closing scene showing hundreds of crucified slaves along the Apian way, without pin. It just feels the pin is not serving such an useful purpose that it needs to be mandatory rather than making it optional for 15 and below.
And If I were ever sad enough to be watching an adult movie at 3:30pm I would certainly be changing channel in a big hurry if anyone visited!

Better change the pin to 1111 I suppose. It will only take my thumb a second or so to enter then!
0 Kudos