cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCM audio much quieter than Dolby audio

Dark1
On our wavelength

I recently bought a new Philips TV and soundbar, and I've noticed an issue with the sound level from my TiVo V6 box.

I've noticed that any channel that outputs in PCM audio is a lot quieter than channels that output in Dolby audio. This is not something I've noticed before because this is the first time I've had anything capable of Dolby audio.

If I set the V6 to PCM only, then obviously all audio goes quiet. And certainly a lot quieter than the same channels on the TV's Freeview receiver.

And I know it's not a problem with the TV itself because the disparity persists when I connect the V6 directly to the soundbar via an optical cable.

Is this a common known problem?

9 REPLIES 9

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

What's the make and model of your soundbar, and which channels are you referring to?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

It's a Philips TAB8805/10 3.1 soundbar & subwoofer.

It does not seem like the soundbar is the issue. As said in my initial email, other sources of PCM audio, such as the TVs Freeview tuner, are is not as noticeably quieter as with the V6 box.

A good comparison is the majority of channels that have HD and SD versions. Let's say Sky News. The HD version outputs in Dolby audio whereas the SD version outputs in PCM audio. Switching between the 2 is very noticeably different. To get a comparable level of volume as the HD version at 1/3 volume, you need the SD version to be closer to 2/3 volume.

Thanks.

NinjaMeerkat
Fibre optic

@Dark1 wrote:

I recently bought a new Philips TV and soundbar, and I've noticed an issue with the sound level from my TiVo V6 box.

I've noticed that any channel that outputs in PCM audio is a lot quieter than channels that output in Dolby audio. This is not something I've noticed before because this is the first time I've had anything capable of Dolby audio.

If I set the V6 to PCM only, then obviously all audio goes quiet. And certainly a lot quieter than the same channels on the TV's Freeview receiver.

And I know it's not a problem with the TV itself because the disparity persists when I connect the V6 directly to the soundbar via an optical cable.

Is this a common known problem?

A difference in volume between PCM and DD is not unusual.

Is your TV and soundbar connected with their HDMI ARC ports? If so, try this: V6 (audio setting Dolby Digital) to either of soundbar's HDMI inputs and soundbar's HDMI out to TV's HDMI 1.

I've just checked Channel 5 HD on channel 105 (Dolby Digital 5.1) and Channel 5 on channel 154 (stereo) run through my Marantz NR1711 and cannot tell the difference in sound levels.

--

Yes, I am routing the V6 to the TV then TV to soundbar via HDMI eARC. However, I had already tried going direct through the optical port instead which made no difference.

So I've now tried the alternative way you suggested, and again, made no difference. No word of exaggeration, Channel 5 SD is virtually half the volume of Channel 5 HD. The choice of channels makes no difference.

And again, just to reiterate, the same stark disparity does not exists with the same channels on the TVs Freeview tuner (005 & 105).

So just mine then?

I think a swap of the V6 should be tried.

--

Considering how much I have stored on this thing I haven't watched yet, swapping it would not be my first choice. Thanks anyway.

If anyone else has this same issue, please shout up so we can compare notes.

I don't think it's a big problem as the number of HD channels continues to increase. I find that I watch SD channels for only a minority of time.

--

I know what you mean. But there is one exception: BBC News HD. Even though it's HD, it's still only PCM audio. Or at least it is on Virgin Media. On Freeview and Sky, it's Dolby audio.

This is what made me notice this volume discrepancy the most. I spend a lot of time switching between BBC News and Sky News, and I have to turn the volume up and down every time I switch. Irritating!