Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Own router with multiple V6 boxes

I have just gotten virgin for the first time and I have two V6 boxes and I understand that I can view recordings on one from the other. 

If I was to replace the broadband hub from virgin with my own would I still be able to do this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Own router with multiple V6 boxes

For the V6 to work you must only use Virgin Media's Broadbsnd.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Keith is correct in that you must use the VM Hub and broadband - but you can put it in modem mode and use your own wireless router and you can still view recordings from box to box.
I have 3 V6's and my own router and its all hunky dory. They do work better though if you can connect them to your router with Cat6 ethernet cable rather than wifi.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Perfect thanks! That was exactly what I was hoping to hear.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Chewitt86 wrote:

I have just gotten virgin for the first time and I have two V6 boxes and I understand that I can view recordings on one from the other. 

If I was to replace the broadband hub from virgin with my own would I still be able to do this?

Yes, you can use a different router (it doesn't replace the VM one, you switch the VM one to "modem mode" and then plug your router into it), but you can then connect the V6 boxes to your router instead of the VM one. However, as stated, you do have to have Virgin broadband, you can't change that and keep the V6s.

0 Kudos