Menu
Highlighted
powellcd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

One of 2 V6 boxes keeps losing internet connection

Hi,

One of my V6 boxes keeps losing its wifi internet connection. Tried everything including doing a factory reset of the V6 but problem still there. Rebooting the V6 fixes the problem for a couple of hours and then it loses internet connection again.

I have checked all the network settings and all OK. I have another V6 box using the same wifi connection with no problems at all.

Any ideas bearing in mind that I have checked and re-checked everything. The Network Connection screen shows all the correct details except 'Signal: none'. 

Thanks and regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: One of 2 V6 boxes keeps losing internet connection

I am guessing that the "dropping" V6 is in a location that is receiving a poorer wifi signal. Use a wifi analyser App on a smartphone to measure the quality of the 2 connections. If that turns out to be the reason, then you have 3 options....
1 - connect it by ethernet cable
2 - improve the wifi signal at the V6 box
3 - use powerline connectors (if your electrical circuits are "Linked")

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It would be useful to know the Network Status of each V6.

Navigate on each V6 as follows:

Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network > View Network Status > 

and report for each V6:

Link Status 

Signal strength

Connection Speed

0 Kudos
powellcd
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking an interest jbrennand. I don't think it is a signal problem. I am using a wifi laptop in the same room which is fine with a steady 200 Mbps signal strength. When the V6 box is restarted it connects perfectly normally for a while.

Regards
0 Kudos
powellcd
Tuning in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ernie_C for taking the time. When the 'problem' box is working the link status is Connected (5GHz) at 70% signal strength and 270 Mbps with the same results from the 'good' V6.

When it dies then everything on the problem box is zero and Network Diagnostics fails immediately at the Test Connection test with no signal reported.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Assuming you have a Hub 3.0, is it still as delivered with a single WiFi SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz or have you created separate WiFi SSIDs for each band?

0 Kudos
powellcd
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I changed both boxes to 5GHz and they have been like this for over a year.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

So, has the problem starting just coincided with the intelligent wifi firmware update ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
powellcd
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again. How would I check the firmware? I am not aware of any reported updates. The problem started about 3 weeks ago.

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Firmware/software version is listed in the Hub settings and occur without you seeing notifications - you need to log into the Hub settings and look through the "obvious pages" until you find where its stated - it will probably end in either xxx.608/609/610.
Intelligent wifi was launched pretty widely in .610 around 3/4 weeks ago - and so I would be amazed if you didn't have it and that is the root cause of your "new" issue.
I would try what I suggested previously to resolve it.

--------------------
0 Kudos