Menu
Highlighted
wrathfull
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

On demand failures

Had a replacement V6 and engineer fitted an attenuator to the router. Ever since I have had constant failures with catch up services. Keep complaining to call centre but they cannot resolve. I am unable to find a contact detail for making a proper complaint about the lack of resolution. Seems like virgin will do anything to avoid dealing with unhappy customers. Happy to bump up the price, though, for long standing accounts - have ben with them since before it was virgin. now on the point of changing service providers as virgin's much advertised "Free repairs" are seemingly unavailable or do not solve the problem.

0 Kudos
michaeldavis
Well-informed
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: On demand failures

On demand requires a network connection and if you are getting signal to noise ratio issues with your line (a possible reason for fitting an attenuator) the issue may still be present.
On a Virgin landline or Virgin Mobile call 150 (or 0345 454 1111 from another phone) and navigate to "thinking of leaving" or you can try the self help guide on the virgin page

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.
wrathfull
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your feedback

I have never been able to link to "thinking of leaving"; don't know the menu structure. There is nothing anywhere on virgin's published media that enables customers to speak to real people that may be able to make a significant difference. Haven't found any contact point for cancelling the contract, either.

I will see how the latest "solution" pans out, but if not good I will definitely be looking to leave.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Ben_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi wrathfull,

Really sorry to hear this. 

How are things looking at the moment?

Thanks

Ben_N

0 Kudos
wrathfull
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben

Having occasional wifi drop out but on demand seems moderately more stable. Following a call from another provider, I did manage to contact the retention team. Person was helpful, but could/would not comment on service issues. Tried to find ways to reduce my package, but to no avail - then offered a new 12M contract, at a reduction of a Whole £6 a month. Bloody crap, really, but not the individual's fault.

Will continue looking at alternatives and most likely will change services in the new year.Been on this contract for over 6 years, but been with service since it was Telewest. VM claim they don't want to lose a "valued" customer, but seem to be intent on doing the square root of F.A. about enticing people to stay.

Price keeps escalating but there's nothing to really justify it. Broadband speeds; but then VM has the monopoly,there, so no real surprise.

Have been offered 60Mb speeds and unlimited downloads and free calls all day every day for less than £40/m with no set up fees. told VM this and they come up with £59/m for what I currently get, or £65 for more channels - to match what's in the new offer........Not rocket science

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ah I see.

We would offer new customers a welcome discount. All new customers would get one of those at the start.

The team on 0345 454 1111 are the best team to take a look into what deals we'd be able to offer you. 

Thanks

Ben_N

0 Kudos
wrathfull
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I would have expected that those were the people Ispoke to. Person said they were with the retention team. Ergo, not much point in trying again.

I accept that everyone offers new member discounts, but after the contract preiod, the price rverts to approx £48 / month - still some 30% cheaper...

It'e not all about the money. I had a replacement V6 box and they fitted an attenuator. It is only since this that I have had the on demand failures. Coincidence?? mis-diagnosis? Further I have been continually told "we have made changes and eveything is now solved" incorrect. Last person was decidedly offhand and informed me that on demand was only a free add-on to the package and therefore not such a priority, despite my reporting the problem 4 times in 4 weeks. This seems to be pretty poor customer service. It may be a freebie, but I only receive it by paying out the extortionate monthly fee. Even as a low priority, 4 problem reports must be sufficient to determine there is something intrinsically wrong..

A point to note is that the problem has recurred, but I can no longer be bothered wasting time trying to get it resolved. Every phone call starts with an automated system and remote testing, even though it has no effect. there seems to be no means of bypassing this and speaking straight to a real person. Surely customers are intelligent enough to know when they don't need another automated test.

Thank you

Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just to confirm how is the V6 connected to the router? 

0 Kudos
wrathfull
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Firstly, thank you for pursuing this matter.

The V6 is connected by wifi to the router. They are in adjoining rooms, maybe 20feet apart. Due to circunstance, the router cannot be located next to the V6. I have a concealed coax cable from the splitter to the router (in other room) and a short coax to the V6, from the splitter. It would be impractical to try and route a cat6 in place of the router coax

Thank you

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Connecting a V6 to the Hub by wifi can be problematic - depending on your local wifi "environment.  You can try improving that using some of the tips that are well documented on the "Networking & Wifi" forum.  Or connect the V6 to the Hub using powerline adapters and short Cat6a cables - again well documented on these fora.  If you want to discuss the issues you are having with someone, trt calling “Retentions” on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options 1-1-4-5  - "Thinking of leaving" then “technical issues” – (They are open Monday – Friday, 8am - 8pm and on Saturday from 8am - 6pm. – [08.01 is best!]) you have a better chance of getting a UK call centre (it could still be a 30’+ wait though) who will be more understanding and helpful.  Tell them you are thinking of leaving for Sky/BT because of these problems - and they will try and sort it for you (as it’s their job to keep customers) or give you best info on the problem.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos