cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On demand broken

Grey_Area
Tuning in

Stuttering and playing out of sequence in 5 or 10 second chunks. Any suggestions? 

23 REPLIES 23

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Grey_Area wrote:

Ethernet Connection Details, IP Addr.and MAC ID.

So you're not using wireless, but an Ethernet cable.

Do the connections report as succeeding on the LHS, or are any failures reported? It's the same connection being used as for VoD.

Does the TV speed test return a good result?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No failures and the TV speed test gives me a big green thumbs up and "connection suitable for TV services". 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So your issue isn't a connectivity one then.

Can you confirm any specific programme episode that you're having issues with? Others can maybe check it for comparison.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

It was affecting all episodes of season two of Brassic. Seemed worse at the start of each episode, normally clearing after the first ad break, but the last episode was affected almost all the way through. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ok - I now see (or hear) what you mean. I can't quite work out what the issue is, but agree something's awry. I've mentioned this via VIP-channels to see what others make of it, and also for VM to take a look.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Grey_Area,

Thanks for expanding on what you're experiencing at the moment. I appreciate that it's not ideal and I do apologise.

Can you just clarify if you are using a wired connection or a wireless connection, because from what I can see you've mentioned both in two separate posts about this? If it's the latter then it'd be worth trying an Ethernet connection to see if that helps to alleviate matters.

If that doesn't help then I would recommend performing a factory reset of the box to see if that helps at all. Instructions on how to do this can be found here, but please be mindful that this may delete your recordings.

Be sure to let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

My setupight be a little different to most. 

The TV box is on a wired connection, but it's plugged into a Google WiFi unit, which is in turn plugged into the hub. 

The Google wifi handles my WiFi network because the hub doesn't have the strength to reach the back rooms of my house. WiFi on the hub is turned off. I tried using an extender with the hub, but then that gives problems when some devices are accessing WiFi by the extender, because the Virgin software cannot detect the TV box if it's, accessing via the router.

To date the only solution I've found to give me the perfect combination of cover and seamless access is the Google WiFi units. 

It works fine for all devices on every other streaming service...its only the streaming services on the tivo box that are affected. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I don't think this is anything to do with the OP's setup, and is everything to do with these specific programmes.

As mentioned in my previous post, I agree there's something wrong with these programmes but can't put a finger on what.

@Grey_Area  - can you confirm that other VoD programmes play ok, and whatever the issue, it's specific to Brassic S2?

As of this morning season one of Brassic is unaffected. Season two still gives me the problem. 

Analysing it more closely I noticed something about it. As I said the soundtrack gets out of step, so that after a few seconds of playing "in sync", it will play a few seconds of soundtrack from an earlier point in the show. Then it comes in sync again, then out of sync etc.

But one thing I've noticed: early in the soundtrack the sound of the sky "falling dominoes" trailer olays (oh yeah, it's on Sky on demand, not the BBC iplayer) - but the video for the episode never plays the falling dominoes intro.

I can try and video it on my phone if that would help? 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would also be very useful if you could confirm that different OnDemand programmes play ok and are unaffected. Something other than Brassic, although "S1 being ok" certainly helps.

That would conclusively help ID that this issue is specific to these programmes(s), and is not a problem with your setup.