cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Demand - not working

Sunshine1705
Tuning in

Hi, I’m new to this community, but was hoping for some advice if possible…We have a Samsung UE55HU7500 which we used to be able to watch Catch Up on through Virgin Media TiVo but a while ago this stopped working. It’s only now we have been able to investigate as the TV is hung on the wall so awkward to move HDMI leads around etc. The HDMI from the TiVo box goes into a Yamaha sound bar then HDMI from there to TV. I have moved the HDMI in the TV to HDCP 2.2 port but this hasn’t worked either! The only way I can watch Catchup TV is to change the output to 1080 resolution which is frustrating as it used to work!

12 REPLIES 12

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly, do you definifely have a TiVo? Check here if you're not sure, incase you actually have a V6.

Secondly - what happens when you try to use OnDemand, I don't think you've said. Do you get any error messages before the programme plays, for example?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes we definitely have TiVo boxes, I’ve checked in the settings. When try play programme through catch up it starts ie the introduction but then before the programme starts the screen turns red with Virgin logo and an odd splat like thing on screen.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The settings menu doesn't tell you between a TiVo & a V6, the software is the same - the link in my previous post has photos of the 2 boxes. I'm only asking because...

The symptoms you've described are similar to when a V6 is trying to output 2160 4K UHD OnDemand when the HDMI cable/TV isn't HDCP2.2 compliant, but you'd often get an error code - 602/603/604 most likely - and the TiVo doesn't support 4K.

Can you post a picture of the "odd splat like thing"?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi, sorry for the confusion I wasn’t aware that setting show TiVo when potentially another type of box. 🙈 I’ve checked and it’s a V6 box. I’ve attached a screenshot I think 🤔 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try changing your video output (Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Devices > Video output - from memory!) to enable 1080 output - you may need to restart your V6 for this to take effect, but shouldn't always have to.

See if this resolves the issue. If it does, your issues are HDCP related. If not, then something else is causing this.

And no, your screenshot didn't appear - when you're composing a message, click the camera icon in the top of the screen and attach the file. You'll need to wait for it to be manually approved before it's publicly visible.

What happens if you connect the V6 directly to the TV?

And is the V6 connected to the hub with an Ethernet cable?

Can you temporarily have video output settings of 2160p and 2160p 24/25/30fps (pass-through) so that the V6 outputs 4K content.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

The catch up service does work if I change the resolution output to 1080 output and I unselect 2160. I was under the impression if I put the HDMI into the HDCP 2.2 compatible port then this would resolve the issue but it didn’t. I contacted Virgin Media Tech support and they suggested paying for HD at a monthly fee but I don’t think this is the issue.   The Catchup/OnDemand used to work and we haven’t changed anything so it’s odd. Apologies for the error with screenshot 

Hi thanks for the reply. I haven’t yet tried a HMDI directly from V6 box to TV as the HDMI is channeled in the wall 🙈I will obtain another HDMI & test this option. The V6 is not connected directly to the Hub. the Hub is in another room. The TV is connected to Wi-Fi if tthat makes sense

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sunshine1705 wrote:

The catch up service does work if I change the resolution output to 1080 output and I unselect 2160

So the issue is HDCP related then.

Try as Roger has suggested, and connect the V6 to your TV directly, then re-enable 2160. Retry - this will prove the intermediate kit.

The suggestion of paying for HD is nonsense.

The connection between your V6 & home-hub can either be wired using Ethernet or wireless using WiFi. Cabled is always recommended given the choice but is unlikely to be the issue here.

What your test of 1080 has proven, is that somewhere between your V6 & TV, something isn't HDCP2.2 compliant. Typically that's the HDMI lead or TV port- but intermediate A/V kit can complicate matters. A process of elimination is the best way to find the cause.

Edited to add that it's your V6 that you're using to watch OnDemand, so how your TV is connected to the internet is irrelevant.