Menu
Richiejones1
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

On Demand HD doesnt show a picture

Hi, 

When I try to watch a film on demand on HD it doesnt show a picture but I can hear the sound. It allows it in SD but not in HD. I am fully signed up for HD and it is still the same when I reset the box. 

Can this be fixed?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: On Demand HD doesnt show a picture

@Richiejones1 wrote:

Hi, 

When I try to watch a film on demand on HD it doesnt show a picture but I can hear the sound. It allows it in SD but not in HD. I am fully signed up for HD and it is still the same when I reset the box. 

Can this be fixed?

Thanks 

This is a new one. Do you have any specific examples - are these from Sky Cinema OD or one of the PPV options (Virgin Store/Virgin Rental)?

If it's a PPV option, you may need Virgin staff to check, but if it's Sky Cinema then there's probably people on here who can check and at least prove whether it's the film or not.

0 Kudos
Richiejones1
Joining in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. It's usually on Sky Cinema, haven't tried it on ppv yet. It isn't film specific, just on any hd film.

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

In that case, you have a fault. I rather suspect that if every Sky Cinema HD-OD film was giving a blank screen for everyone, we'd soon know about it.

As an experiment, are you able to try a couple of things..

1: Channel 5-HD CatchUp. This uses the legacy VOD platform that also carries CatchUp and quite a bit of SD boxsets. Does this work ok?
2: Assuming you have access to boxset content, can you try an ITV boxset program? SD uses the legacy platform, HD uses the same IP system as Sky Cinema OnDemand.

This may just help narrow the issue down.

0 Kudos
Richiejones1
Joining in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Thanks for that, channel 5hd works fine but ITV box set hd shows the same issue with no picture but sound. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

As I suspected, there's a clear pattern to your fault - all the programs you're having problems with are carried on the new IP-based VOD system.

You can either wait for a Virgin staffer to pick this thread up, or call into faults-CS and have the problem logged. It may be fault on your box, or maybe an issue with the VOD system (though I'd expect there to be more reports if that were the case)

While writing this, I've noticed it's posted in the V6 forum - just to confirm you've got a V6 box and not a TiVo? I'd assumed TiVo, but if it's a V6 I wonder if there's an issue with your broadband speed without realising, and lack of picture is the box's way of coping? Wouldn't have thought so, but I wouldn't rule it out either...

Brenchk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I’ve got the same issue and raised it with Virgin last night. The Technical team said it was linked to my package and had to speak to Customer Services. Customer Services said it was a Technical issue and I needed to speak again to the Technical Team. Having been automatically cut off to the virgin team three times I’ve given up. I wanted to watch a Sky on Demand film in HD and spent over 30 mins getting to this stale mate conclusion and decided to put a dvd on instead. I look forward to tracking an answer. And BTW it did work some weeks ago. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Brenchk,

Welcome to the Virgin Media community and thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry if you were passed from one department to another about the issue.

Is it still the same since the time of posting? Are you having issues only on HD shows? Have you tried if SD is working?

And you mentioned, there's no picture, but can you hear if there's a sound?

And also, what box are you using? Any changes on your equipment or package before this happened?

I'd love to be if assistance. Just let me know.

Mia_C

0 Kudos
Brenchk
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mia.

i tried it last night and same issue. SD is fine but HD provides sound only and screen is blank (black).

I’ve got a V6 box and max speed and the full package if that helps.

i can stream UHD 4K on Netflix via the TV so I know the connection is good.

I can’t believe I’m alone in this issue and anything you can suggest appreciated.

and I’ve rebooted the machine a number of times. No impact.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Brenchk,

Thanks for responding back to our Community.

Thanks for your responses Richiejones1 and Japitts.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that you can't watch other channels on your package.

Have you tried removing the HDMI cables from TV and TV box and then put it back again.

Make sure you return it  on the correct positions and then try to access again your SD channels.

You can also try to access this link to help us on troubleshooting your TV and TV box.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Victoria_M

0 Kudos