Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Normal TV aerial or virgin cable?

I have 2 Virgin V6 boxes already but have just started a new kitchen extension that will have another TV, and ideally a 3rd Virgin V6 box. 

2 questions, 1, is there a one-off fee for this 3rd box or is it an additional monthly subscription? 

and secondly, do I just need a normal TV aerial to be run through the extension for the new V6 box, or does it need the virgin media cable to be run to it from the fibre point in the street? Or does it need an aerial at all and it's all just done through the wifi smart hub?

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Normal TV aerial or virgin cable?

There is an extra charge for extra boxes.. can't remember if it's £5 or £7 pm extra, there will also be a one-off fee.

It will need Virgin cable and for me they ran the cable outside to come into the house near where you want the V6. It will also need some way to connect to the HUB.. can be ethernet, powerline adapter or wifi (if your signal is good enough).

LittleMick73
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Virgin TV is cable so no aerial is ever needed.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How much TV will you watch in your kitchen? If it won't be much, then an aerial and a Freeview TV could be all you need.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thx for your reply. The reason I'm confused is that after getting home from work and checking again, for my main virgin box, the installer actually connected the virgin 'cable' to a TV aerial adapter to connect to the virgin box. See pic attached. In fact the Virgin TV box only has Optical audio, Ethernet, HDMI and a normal TV aerial input. And on my 2nd box in the bedroom, it's only a TV aerial connection. There isn't a cable connection like the old boxes where you screw the cable on tight. cable.jpgcable to aerial adapter to connect to Virgin box

Perhaps I should just go Smart TV for YouTube and Netflix and then stick with freeview. 

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That is still virgin cable, it isn't aerial cable.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No V6 has aerial input. You are confusing the socket marked COAX IN as intended for TV coaxial cable, but it's for a short adapter cable which in turns connects to VM's white coaxial cable coming in from the internal termination box.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@865178 wrote:

Hi, Thx for your reply. The reason I'm confused is that after getting home from work and checking again, for my main virgin box, the installer actually connected the virgin 'cable' to a TV aerial adapter to connect to the virgin box. See pic attached. In fact the Virgin TV box only has Optical audio, Ethernet, HDMI and a normal TV aerial input. And on my 2nd box in the bedroom, it's only a TV aerial connection. There isn't a cable connection like the old boxes where you screw the cable on tight. cable.jpgcable to aerial adapter to connect to Virgin box

Perhaps I should just go Smart TV for YouTube and Netflix and then stick with freeview. 

There are no rules that say Cable operators must use F type connectors or Freeview must use push-on or IEC types.

It just happens that the latest V6 uses IEC inputs. Many commercial Freeview installations use F type connectors in distribution systems only going to push-on at the equipment end.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It isn't aerial cable, as explained on all the other posts (VIRGIN DOESN'T WORK VIA AERIALS)
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This is really helpful thank you. Some of the more "assertive" replies assume we're all AV experts on this forum when in fact I expect, like me, many people have very little AV knowledge - hence why I'm asking for help. 

My confusion was because of the connector on the virgin box and the adapter cable which regardless of other comments are the same as a traditional TV aerial - but now I understand it's still connected to Virgins cable and is simply an adapter.

On another note, among the experts on this forum, can I ask what is the best performing router to work with a Virgin Hub 3.0 so that the broadband passes through the virgin hub and is then transmitted by a more sophisticated and better performing router? Hope that makes sense? I was looking at a Netgear Nighthawk but then i see many forums saying that the wi-fi seizes up every few days needing a hard reset. Thx in advance all. 

0 Kudos