Menu
sadgit1971
On our wavelength
Message 31 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: Noisy V6 box

mine was replaced yonks ago and the replacement was even louder.. I've had to lock it away to drown out the drone. Wish I could swap the drive out for an SSD as that is the drone issue.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Louise_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 32 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi reddwarf4ever,

Thank you for taking the time to post in the Community.

I'm really sorry you are having some trouble with the V6 box and the sound it is making.

I have tried to run a test on your equipment but have been unable to connect to the box as its currently showing as offline. Can you please advise if the box was powered on at the time of my post?

It does make some noise as does our TiVo box but it shouldn't be too excessive, Like I said I don't really notice mine but that may be down to my two little boys who are never quiet lol 🙂

Do you know anyone else with a V6 box that you can compare this with?

We need to ensure the set top box is positioned on a flat surface. If the noise continues the only options are to limit the occurrence of the noise taking place:

This can be done by
•amending power save features 
•time programs are scheduled to record 
•and finally, disable the recording of suggestions. 

Alternatively you could try using anti-vibration materials such as a foam / cork / rubber mat (available from most discount stores) to rest your set top box on, ensuring the material used doesn’t obstruct any ventilation holes.

Let me know how you get on with the above 🙂

I would like to raise a case to register your dissatisfaction with the box to do this I will need to confirm some information with you.

I have sent you a private message. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.
Speak soon,

Louise

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

0 Kudos
reddwarf4ever
Up to speed
Message 33 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Totally agree, I would pay extra to have an ssd fitted.......the HDD must do maintenance routines every so often, why though I have no idea, especially as it is on the ultra eco mode...

0 Kudos
reddwarf4ever
Up to speed
Message 34 of 40
Flag for a moderator

This can be done by
•amending power save features  it’s in eco mode, so can’t access with tv anywhere, what else can I do
•time programs are scheduled to record .....hardly anything set to record 
•and finally, disable the recording of suggestions. Turned off immediately

maybe  virgin could supply a vibration mat...

0 Kudos
Lauraknowles
Tuning in
Message 35 of 40
Flag for a moderator

How is the replacement? I have two boxes, both noisy but especially the one in my bedroom that I have to get up and turn off in the middle of the night. It’s really really irritating! The one downstairs I can cope with but the other one actually wakes me up! 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 36 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Lauraknowles, 

Thanks for your post - your box certainly should not be as loud as to wake you up!

Do you find that a reboot quietens the box? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Lauraknowles
Tuning in
Message 37 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Thanks for replying.

I turn it off at the wall most nights so I don’t hear it. It’s even loud when turned to standby. I find if I pause something then turn my tv on leaving the box itself powered on, it seems a bit quieter but not silent. 

Im sat in my loud as we speak and that box is also making a constant blinking crackling noise. When engineers come they say ‘it’s nornal, it’s the processor, the advisors on the phone/online don’t know the technical issues, they’re just answering you to get a visit arranged’ and things of that nature. 

I had the same issue with the old tivo box but it was super loud. Engineers sent tell me ‘it’s echoing through your cabinet.’ It isn’t, the box just makes noise. The upstairs and downstairs boxes are on two different cabinets, both have same issue. Both are solid wood cabinets. We’ve tried lifting them up off the cabinet surface with foam, little wooden stilts, placing it on a towel (this made it seem like it would overheat as there was a fan noise) - nothing works at all. 

I really can’t use the upstairs one for recording etc because I have to totally power it off. The downstairs one I cope with but upstairs genuinely wakes me up I’d say 5 out of 7 nights if I leave it on 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 38 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Thanks  Lauraknowles, 

This certainly does not sound (sorry - pun not intended!) like what our boxes should be like - they should not be as loud as to wake or disturb you. 

I have popped you a quick Private Message to take some information so I can take a closer look. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Digidel
Tuning in
Message 39 of 40
Flag for a moderator

I have two and they are both very noisy. Doesn’t sound like a hard drive noise. Sounds like the steady drone of a fan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lauraknowles
Tuning in
Message 40 of 40
Flag for a moderator

I’ve found that turning my box on it side so it’s stood in its narrowest edge reduces it 

0 Kudos