cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No surround sound when using V6

Cymro49
Joining in

I have recently purchased a new OLED LG Tv connected to LG sound bar and surround sound speakers.

My connections are high grade HDMI from the Virgin V6 to the HDMI input on the TV.

The output from the TV is on HDMI E-ARC to the HDMI Arc input on the sound bar.

When using the Netscape app on the TV I get surround sound, proving the system is OK and the problem is the Virgin V6.

If I connect an optic cable from the V6 output directly to the soundbar optic input with the HDMI Arc cable disconnected from the TV I get surround sound.

This proves there is a problem with the surround sound output via the HDMI port of the V6 Box.

I would be grateful is someone can help me on this.

8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is this on all content, or just specific channels/broadcasters/OnDemand?

Only asking because ITV HD is notably only in stereo and not Dolby.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It is on all 5.1 sound contents on virgin.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

What's the TV's Sound Out setting? If it's PCM you'll get stereo.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I have it on Dolby digital not the pcm

Hi the HDMI port on the V6 should be used to go to the TV, so the fact that using an optical solves your problem should tell you that's the way to go. Regards Micky

I am using the HDMI from the V6 to the TV, This works but only carries 2 Chanel sound not 5.1. That’s why I have had to connect an additional optic cable from the V6 box to the sound bar in order to get surround sound.

Hi Cymro49 thanks for posting.

I am really sorry to hear you're unhappy with the sound capabilities of the V6 box. Please can you confirm if you're a single box or multi-box user and if multi-box, does the issue exist on both boxes?  

Regards

Lee

I have found the problem with the sound.

The new 4K HDMI 2.0 cable had a fault. I used a temporary cable as a trial on a surround sound channel and it worked.I can not disconnect the optical cable.

Thanks for all your assistance  commence.