cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound when playing sky max on demand

martyk57
Tuning in

Sky max works fine but when I try and watch Sky Max on Demand there is no sound.

When I try and select something other than UHD e.g. HD or SD it defaults back to UHD.

The TV is one of the latest Philips ambiilight LED models. Anyone finding the same problem?

The sound on the v6 is set to PCM.

7 REPLIES 7

Steve1701
Rising star

Hi,

I've just checked a random program on Sky Max On Demand and it played without any audio issues.

I switched between SD > HD > UHD, again no issues.

Assuming your TV is 4K, I recommend you change the V6 Audio Setting to 'Dolby Digital' and see if it works.

🤞

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@martyk57 wrote:

Sky max works fine but when I try and watch Sky Max on Demand there is no sound.

When I try and select something other than UHD e.g. HD or SD it defaults back to UHD.

What's your video output settings? This almost sounds like your TV is reporting a 2160 input regardless of the source material, and your V6 is upscaling all 576 & 1080 content to 2160 - that's epected behaviour.

As for your lack of sound, does this affect any other channels/programmes? There's nothing different about Sky Max OnDemand compared with any other OnDemand content - they use the same delivery mechanism.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Everytime virgin media change something they reset all the video settings 2160p so I have to reset everything.Generally I have it set for 2160p pass through 1080p passthrough and 1080i.All live tv streaming is nearly all 1080i, I let our tv do any upscaling as it does a far better job. In this case I had left 2160p checked so unchecked it and the sound returned. 
virgin used to have a habit of changing the frame rate to something non standard..(see some of the older posts) not sure how it is now. We have a 7.1 channel amp so we always have the sound set to PCM and let the amp manage the sound distribution.

thanks to you both for your replies.

Hi I'm surprised you have your virgin box set to PCM with your setup it should be Dolby Digital, are you sure you are getting the correct sound this way, as I don't get surround sound unless set to Dolby digital, you may get sound all the speakers but it won't be 5.1 or 7.1. Regards Micky

Hi marty 

Regarding your sound output, As I said previously, you need to set the output to 'Dolby Digital' ...

I have a Bose 7.1 surround system, and if you have the output set to PCM, as LittleMick73 has stated, you will still get 7 points or origin for the sound output, but all 7 speakers will be giving the same output, rather than 7 individual audio channels, thus not true surround.

The playback fault could have been a one-off issue.

Regarding video: If you are watching a program/episode via 'On Demand' it should playback at whatever it was originally broadcast at, ie: if it was an SD program, it should playback via 'On Demand' at SD ...That said, your V6 and your TV have the ability to upscale, so it is plausible that the TV has upscaled to playback at 2160p.

Regards,

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does this issue affect any other channels/programmes?

As mentioned above, there's nothing different about Sky Max OnDemand compared with any other OnDemand content - they use the same delivery mechanism.

It seems from the replies thus far, this is a general problem with your sound, affecting VOD & live TV equally?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for coming back to us @martyk57.

Are you still having the sound issues?

If so, would be able to answer the questions posed by @japitts, this will help us getter a better understanding of the issues you're facing.

Regards,

Steven_L