cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dolby Surround on BT Sports channels

FVM9
Tuning in

I've recently upgraded my long serving AV receiver for a newer, higher spec model (pioneer LX77). For some reason I am only getting the BT Sport channels to output in stereo to the front speakers - the receiver seems to read a 5channel signal but for no matter what the setting it will only output to stereo. Receiver works perfectly well with 5.1 surround with skymovie channels from the v6 box so im wondering if anyone can help me pinpoint the issue?
Worked fine with the previous amp for both sports and movie channels.

Thanks for your help

5 REPLIES 5

ozsat
Superstar

BT Sport only have 5.1 for some live events - most programmes are 2.0.

As I type all five BT Sport channels are in 2.0.

@FVM9 wrote:

I've recently upgraded my long serving AV receiver for a newer, higher spec model (pioneer LX77). For some reason I am only getting the BT Sport channels to output in stereo to the front speakers - the receiver seems to read a 5channel signal but for no matter what the setting it will only output to stereo. Receiver works perfectly well with 5.1 surround with skymovie channels from the v6 box so im wondering if anyone can help me pinpoint the issue?
Worked fine with the previous amp for both sports and movie channels.

Thanks for your help

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Thanks for quick reply. 
Would expect more headline events would be in 5.1 though? I am right now watching afticas cup live on sky sports 3 and i only have the front speakers working. Tenet on 403 instead works on all 5.1 channels

If thats the case (most channels are in2.1 stereo) then i hardly recall many matches -predominantly serie a on bt - being in surround which is disappointing

Most HD channels for movies and sport are 5.1 - most non-live sport programmes are not.  It is down the the host broadcaster to provide 5.1.

You should find nearly all UK sourced live events are 5.1.

It is not uncommon for a 5.1 programme to only produce audio in the front speakers.

5.1 does not mean all speakers are active - but that all channels have a signal of which some may be silence.

At the start of the two live Premier League games on BT Sport last night - my amp signaled a switch in audio signal from 2.0 to 5.1.

@FVM9 wrote:

Thanks for quick reply. 
Would expect more headline events would be in 5.1 though? I am right now watching afticas cup live on sky sports 3 and i only have the front speakers working. Tenet on 403 instead works on all 5.1 channels

If thats the case (most channels are in2.1 stereo) then i hardly recall many matches -predominantly serie a on bt - being in surround which is disappointing

Understood, thanks.
The receiver is in fact showing all 5 channels on but only putting out audio from the two fronts.
You are saying this is quite common?

I am asking as with the previous receiver (much older & lower price bracket model than this current one) I never had just the two fronts play - I always had all speakers playing and it never felt like the same "flat" stereo that I now get if I push the signal to all speakers (extended stereo mode on the pioneer amp).

The old amp may have been in a psuedo mode. Most stuff broadcast will NOT use the rear speakers by default.

Sky football tonight is the next sports event excepted in 5.1 - but I would expect except the rear speakers to carry some low level crowd noise.

Netflix has some test videos to check audio around the 5.1 channels which play fine on the V6 - called 'Test Patterns"

@FVM9 wrote:
Understood, thanks.
The receiver is in fact showing all 5 channels on but only putting out audio from the two fronts.
You are saying this is quite common?

I am asking as with the previous receiver (much older & lower price bracket model than this current one) I never had just the two fronts play - I always had all speakers playing and it never felt like the same "flat" stereo that I now get if I push the signal to all speakers (extended stereo mode on the pioneer amp).