cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No access to apps

iainplummer
Tuning in

I just installed a new v6 box. Seemed pretty straightforward but I'm not able to access any apps. Iplayer, STV, More4, I just click on the icon and nothing happens. I can't even get into the help app to configure my remote.

I upgraded my old tivo because of service issues, particularly being unable to access box sets or catch up tv, but this is no better.

Is the problem with the broadband rather than the box, or is it just virgin being rubbish ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The major difference between the V6 & the TiVo is that your old box had an in-built internet connection, the V6 doesn't - and requires a connection via your homehub for all online functions. That means OnDemand, streaming apps, EPG & software updates.

It sounds from your description that this connection isn't working, so the first obvious question - how is your V6 connected to your homehub? Is it an Ethernet cable or is it wireless?

Follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and report what's displayed in the top-right.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The major difference between the V6 & the TiVo is that your old box had an in-built internet connection, the V6 doesn't - and requires a connection via your homehub for all online functions. That means OnDemand, streaming apps, EPG & software updates.

It sounds from your description that this connection isn't working, so the first obvious question - how is your V6 connected to your homehub? Is it an Ethernet cable or is it wireless?

Follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and report what's displayed in the top-right.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Its an ethernet connection. My old tivo was connected to the d-link modem by ethernet cable, which i guess is what the engineer who installed it did. When i set up the new box it said I should connect to the virgin hub, so I did.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

On the TiVo, the Ethernet cable's function was for multiroom streaming and not internet, but there you go.

Is the Ethernet cable securely connected to the V6, and to the hub's Ethernet port? If in doubt, disconnect/reconnect them at both ends.

There's an IP address listed. Network Connection Last status is succeeded, Network status is connected. Connection test succeeded, DNS Resolution test succeeded, port configuration test failed.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The port config test result is meaningless, but everything else looks good.

Can you access OnDemand services ok? Find a programme in the backwards TV Guide, press "OK" to "watch from CatchUp". This uses the same internet connection as all the other online functions on your V6.

Depending on the answer, there may be no harm in rebooting your box once to cover "the obvious". Either Home > Help & Settings > Clear or restart (if you can) or use the on/off rocker switch on the back of the box.

@iainplummer wrote:

Its an ethernet connection. My old tivo was connected to the d-link modem by ethernet cable, which i guess is what the engineer who installed it did. When i set up the new box it said I should connect to the virgin hub, so I did.

From what you've described, it sounds like your Super Hub is in modem mode and the D-Link is being used as the router, so if this is the case, you need to connect the V6's Ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports on the D-Link and not the Super Hub.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Valid point - I may have missed checking that.

@iainplummer  - if you're using your VM Superhub as a combined modem & router, then all the Ethernet ports are active and can be used. If your SH is in modem mode and you're using your own router, then only 1 Ethernet port on the SH is active to enable a connection to your own router - which your V6 will need to connect to.

Make sure of how your kit is connected.

Thanks - actually i did the opposite - connected the v6 box direct to the hub, unplugged the d-link completely and that seems to work !

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@iainplummer wrote:

Thanks - actually i did the opposite - connected the v6 box direct to the hub, unplugged the d-link completely and that seems to work !

So you've done one of two things (just so you're aware)

1: Having your SH in modem mode, and by using the 1 usable Ethernet port (that's intended for your router), have removed the ability to connect any other devices.

2: Switched your SH back to router mode and your external router isn't being used.