cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No On Demand or Catch Up

Dot8
Joining in

Since our new service was installed we have not had on demand or catch up on either of our boxes. We get an error message V273

Call centres send out  engineers who say there is no fault in the equipment and that it is an account issue

Any help would be appreciated

regards

Dot8

21 REPLIES 21

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Dot8 wrote:

Since our new service was installed we have not had on demand or catch up on either of our boxes. We get an error message V273

Call centres send out  engineers who say there is no fault in the equipment and that it is an account issue

Hi @Dot8 

Sorry to see you are having problems with your TV services.

Error V273 is a network connectivity error.

What new service was installed? Was it a package regrade, a box regrade, or are you a new customer?

If you are a new customer do you have broadband with VM? If not then these would be TIVO boxes which have their own internet connection, so the advice offered would be different to that given if you have V6 boxes.

You can confirm which boxes you have by looking at the following page.

https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box .

Do you see a lot of "To be announced" messages when scrolling through the EPG?

If so that would seem to confirm that there's a problem with the internet, as that's needed to both populate the EPG and also to run on demand and catchup services.

At what point do you see the V273 error message? 

If they are V6 boxes then how are they connected to the internet?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave

We have  just moved home and have been given a new account. We have  taken the ultimate Volt bundle with 2 V6 boxes. Engineers have replaced the boxes and call centres have run diagnostics. The engineers say there is nothing they can do as it is an account issue. As soon as we select on demand or catch up we get the V273 error message. All other apps and channels are fine. Engineers have also  confirmed we have a good signal,,. One box is connected by ethernet cable and the 2nd box by wi fi. Engineers have tested all connections so at a loss as to where to go from here

regards

Dot8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @Dot8 

Thanks for confirming those details.

I'm assuming that the apps on the V6 boxes are working correctly, for example ITV Hub, My5, All4, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix and Amazon Prime (if you subscribe to the latter two)

If so it would be odd that catchup isn't working.

Is it all of On Demand that isn't working? Being on the Ultimate Volt package you should be able to view them all.

If it's just certain programs, or certain channels not playing from On Demand then that would seem to confirm the engineers said, that the wrong codes have been sent to the boxes.

Just to make sure it's not a network connection error can you please try the following:-

The V6 works best if connected with an ethernet cable..

If you are conecting via wifi, then using your remote go to  Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network

In the top-right, the box should say connected/online - what's the signal strength?

There are timestamps in the top-left corner. These usually operate on 6 hourly connection cycles and will show either Success,  or a reason for failure. If it's a failure what message does it show?

If you are using an ethernet connection make sure it's plugged in tight and snug. Some of the ethernet cables work their way out. It might be an idea to replace it with another working cat 5 pr cat 6 ethernet cable if you have one.

Using your remote go again to  Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network.

At the left hand side of the screen it should show last status which should hopefully say connected.

If it doesn't, or it hasn't made any connection attempts in over 6 hours then click on Connect to Virgin Media Service now.

You can also test your network connection from the same screen, ignore the port configration test section.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Dot8 wrote:

As soon as we select on demand or catch up we get the V273 error message. All other apps and channels are fine. Engineers have also  confirmed we have a good signal,,.

Let's just check a few basics here...

Your TV channels are delivered to your box differently to your OnDemand & streaming services, which use the internet, so we need to be clear what "a good signal" refers to.

All your V6's internet-based functions are delivered via your homehub, and you can check the status of that connection easily by following Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and looking in the top-right.

What do you see?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@japitts 

Thanks for jumping in here. I was going to try and point you to this thread as you're the expert in this.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hi Dave

Do not have the ITV Hub app but all other apps work ok

The V6 box connected by ethernet   shows  Ethernet connected then the IP address etc. It is connecting approx every 6 hours and succeeds

The V6 box connected by wifi shows signal strength 25% (poor) but again shows connection as success

regards

Dot8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Dot8 wrote:

The V6 box connected by wifi shows signal strength 25% (poor) but again shows connection as success

Is that the box that's having problems with OnDemand? If so, I think you've found the problem.

Or at the very least, something which needs eliminating.

Can you try swapping your 2 boxes around, see if the problem follows the box or stays with the room - and by extension, the poor wireless signal.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Good morning japitts

Box 1 is connected by ethernet

Box 2 is now showing signal strength 67 % (good)

On Demand or catch up is unavailable on both boxes (error code V273)

Have rebooted both boxes and the hub

regards

Dot8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is that after the box-swap?

Have you tried using the "Connect to Virgin Media Services now" option within the Network Connections screen, and does it complete successfully?