cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tv, rubbish quality

matty626
Tuning in

Hello,

So i just recently got a new 4k TV and i have a virging V6 box, however the picture quality on the 4k tv is kinda rubbish and not really HDMI. I was just wondering whether theres an adjustment period, or whether theres a specific setting on virgin box I need to adjust since i switched tvs? Or is just the case of the right HDMI cable? 

The other thing ill add as well, is that the tv was HDMI, no problem on last tv

26 REPLIES 26

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can experiment with the output settings via Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Devices > Video output

Are you having problems with any specific channel(s) in particular?

There is some advice on HDMI cables at https://www.techhive.com/article/3330376/do-i-need-a-4k-hdmi-cable.html 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

its all of virgin, i did have a go with the video output settings on virgin but not really sure whether i tested through them properly. I think its an old HDMI cable, and can't really see what type of HDMI cable my tv requires,but saying that, my playstation is clear as day and thats run through HDMI as well. Not sure

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A few things to check then, aside from the "speed rating" of your HDMI cable. Try swapping HDMI cables between your V6 & games console.

SD channels on a UHD TV will look poor. Is the problem with broadcast channels, or OnDemand?

I'd experiment with 2160 & 1080 selected in the video settings. At 2160 your V6 will do all the upscaling, at 1080 the TV will upscale to 2160.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

NinjaMeerkat
Fibre optic

You will need a high speed HDMI cable for 4k, the type of cable you have will be written on it. On the V6 go to the display settings and select only.......

2160p

2160p 24/25/30fps (pass-through)

1080p 24/25/30fps (pass‐through)

1080i

576i

With these resolutions selected your TV will perform the upscaling. If you select "auto detect" then the V6 will select the highest resolution for your TV and will do the upscaling which may not be as good.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm not so sure that if you have 2160 output enabled, the TV will necessarily upscale. By definition, if 2160 is enabled then the V6 can (and should) output at 2160.

The OP absolutely needs to check their cable & experiment. If they continue to have problems, I'd suggest posting the make & model of their TV....

@japitts wrote:

I'm not so sure that if you have 2160 output enabled, the TV will necessarily upscale. By definition, if 2160 is enabled then the V6 can (and should) output at 2160.

The OP absolutely needs to check their cable & experiment. If they continue to have problems, I'd suggest posting the make & model of their TV....

It won't upscale as the v6 is already outputting at the tv max resolution but if you don't select the 2160 option then the v6 won't output "4k".

If the V6's highest resolution is set to, say, 1080i, then 4K content will be downscaled by the box to 1080i only for the TV to upscale to 2160p. So, it won't look good. As for SD: it will always look horrible on 4K TVs as 576i has to be upscaled to 2160p.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

matty626
Tuning in

ill give the selecting options a try, trying to avoid messing with the TV at the minute. Hopefully that will sort it out. 

If i were to get a better HDMI cable. would auto detect be better then? 

On some TVs not all of the HDMI ports are 4K, might be worth checking out, also you might need to change settings on the HDMI ports to get the best picture. Sometimes changing it to enhanced or HDMI deep colour.

Hub 5 Modem Mode, Asus XT8
My Broadband Ping - Gig1 Modem Mode