cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install tivo box

Gaz5
Joining in

Took delivery of a new tivo box today. Followed the instructions on how to set it up. The box did all its updates and restarts and now the box come up with "starting up" on the TV and then goes blank and goes to no signal. Rebooted everything router tivo box and still the same. Any suggestions on what's wrong 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Eeeps
Well-informed

Sounds like a issue with the TV when the V6 box switches to HDR (I assume the TV is 4K HDR).

When the V6 starts up it shows the Starting Up banner in standard definition for a minuite or so then briefly in the best native format the TV can handle.

Try switch off HDR on the LG (something like HDMI UKTRA HD Deep Color off).
Also look for firmware updates for the TV.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is this a TiVo or a V6? If you're not sure, check here 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It's the v6 box sorry

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No problem, just helps to be sure.. also is this a brand new install, or replacement for a previous TiVo?

When you say it goes to no signal, can you elaborate on the "no signal" bit? If that's an error from the V6 box, it should come accompanied by an error code (Perhaps W02). If there's no error code... it could be your TV reporting no HDMI input.

Sucking eggs I'm sure, but the coax cable (for TV) and internet connection (via your homehub) are both present & correct?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

It's a brand new install 
The no signal bit. Basically you boot up the box it's comes up with the welcome and all the different languages then goes black. Comes back up saying "start up"  them after a minute goes black then reverts to the lg no signal screen saying there's no input. The box still has the white light on it and when you press the remote the light  flashes on the box too. 
Yeah the cables are all right. It's done all the updates and that just won't show me anything else now 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Gaz5 wrote:

.....then reverts to the lg no signal screen saying there's no input.

This suggests the error isn't being generated by your V6 as your TV. A "no signal" error from the VM box would nearly always have a specific error code (one of a couple of particular ones) associated and displayed onscreen.

If, as sounds likely, this error is being generated by your TV, it suggests the TV is not detecting any input from the V6.

1: Duff HDMI cable or port

2: Wrong HDMI port selected on your TV

3: No video output being sent by the V6

That you get the initial startup screen proves the V6 can send a video signal and the correct input is being detected - that it seems to be dropping, is the odd bit. Can you manually (on your TV remote) make sure the correct input is selected when the boot loop seems to get stuck?

If - as is quite possible - the V6 is stuck in the boot loop, you'll need to call VM and report it.

Eeeps
Well-informed

Sounds like a issue with the TV when the V6 box switches to HDR (I assume the TV is 4K HDR).

When the V6 starts up it shows the Starting Up banner in standard definition for a minuite or so then briefly in the best native format the TV can handle.

Try switch off HDR on the LG (something like HDMI UKTRA HD Deep Color off).
Also look for firmware updates for the TV.

You absolute god. Cheers mate that's sorted it. 

So with the switched off now is it not HD anymore? 

Eeeps
Well-informed

I think it may stop you getting HDR on UHD material. It won't stop UHD.

Probably worth checking for any firmware update for the TV.

Do you know if your TV supports HDR?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A video output self-test is part of the boot sequence, so this is entirely logical - thanks for the tip @Eeeps 🙂

@Gaz5- what's the make & model of your TV?