Menu
Oldinthetooth64
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

New V6 pair with old Tivo

I have been offered a free upgrade from a Tivo box to the new V6 box.  If I move the Tivo to another room by linking it with Powerline adaptors to my superhub, what will I be able to do on it i.e. watch live TV channels or just playback the recorded?

Also, if I accept the offer of a new V6 box, the superhub is in another room and the ethernet cable is not an option.  Am I correct in thinking that I would need a Powerline adaptor for this box as well to connect it to the wifi?  What is the wifi connection for on the V6 box?

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New V6 pair with old Tivo

Are you paying for the tivo to go multi room, if so you will be able to do everything you can currently do with it, and as long as it has an ethernet connection to the hub you can share content between it and the V6

If your not paying extra, then the tivo will stop fully working and most of your recordings will be inaccessible. It may take a few days for this to happen.

The V6 can work with just wifi unless there are signal issues. The tivo needs a wired connection, which can be achieved using power-line adaptors.

vircom
Super solver
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

1. If you upgrade to a V6, the old box will deactivate when you activate the new V6 and you may have to return the old box to Virgin.

2. If you want the old box to continue working you will have to pay for the extra box and have a Virgin coax cable run to the new location by Virgin. If you then connect them both back to your hub(2 or 3) you can watch recordings on one from the other box.

3. The V6 can connect to the hub by either, direct ethernet cable, by powerline adapters or by wifi if you have a good wifi signal. Only one connection is required.

4. An old Tivo only needs connecting to the hub if you want the box to box playback. It would need to be an ethernet cable or a powerline.
0 Kudos
Oldinthetooth64
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi, I pay for an extra box in my conservatory which is a plain old hd box.  Having read a little bit more on the faqs pages, it looks like they would remove the oldest box I have which would be this one.  Maybe I should put the new V6 box in my conservatory where it may get a better signal to my Superhub 2 and keep the Tivo in my living room.

Thank you for the clarification on what I would be able to do without paying for another multi room. I think I am getting my head around it now.

What is the wifi for on the V6?  I am wondering what I would not be able to do should the wifi signal be weak and not paying for a Powerline?

0 Kudos
Oldinthetooth64
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi, thank you for your help but could I just ask what wifi connection does the new V6 box use as I have 2.4ghz and 5ghz on my superhub 2.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It can use either but it would be better to use the 5GHz WiFi if strong enough.

0 Kudos
Oldinthetooth64
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Seeing that I currently have a V HD Box in the conservatory and would think the V6 box would be better there for wifi connection reasons, can you foresee there being any problems with cabling i.e. that the cabling installed by Virgin a long time ago firstly for a non HD Box and then they replaced some years later with the V HD Box should all be compatible?  Just trying to be thorough before making a commitment and then regretting it later !!!

0 Kudos
pot-shadley
Dialled in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

>The V6 can work with just wifi unless there are signal issues. The tivo needs a wired connection, which can be achieved using power-line adaptors.

Why does the TIVO need a wired connection? Do you mean wired internet connection? I have a TIVO an it only connects to the cable that VM installed, and no connection to my hub which is at the other end of the house.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

TiVo can work completely on its own with only the co-ax connection.

The additional connection to your home network Superhub allows it to connect to any other set top box and allow its recordings to be viewed from the TV connected to that other box (and vice versa).

The additional home network connection also allows TiVo to be controlled from the Virgin TV Control app.

0 Kudos
Oldinthetooth64
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I was just checking that the old cabling installed by VM 19 years ago would work OK with the V6 box i.e. that the cable is compatible.  The wiring was originally for a V box (not HD) but then that box got replaced with a V HD Box, which is still in the conservatory now.

I was also curious what there was to gain/loose by using this VM coax cable and not enabling the wifi on the new V6 box?  I understand now that this will enable me to use the VM Control App but tell the box to record etc but is this the only feature?

0 Kudos