cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New V6 box

Spacebucks
Dialled in

Hi, is there anyway you can send me a new V6 box please? Mine keeps freezing, especially when using iPlayer and i have to reboot the whole box to get it to work. 
Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Spacebucks 

Freezing when using iPlayer may be due to a poor or lost internet signal.

However, looking at your <<< previous issues >>>  with the V6, are you alos getting the freezing problems on live TV?

If so it may be a signal error.

What happens if you pause live TV? If that judders when you play it back it looks like the hard drive problem has resurfaced.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'd add to newapollo's comment, and just ask @Spacebucks to clarify which aspects of your services are proving a problem, as all are sourced differently and indicate different problems...

1: Live broadcast TV channels

2: Recorded content - be it live TV paused and delayed, or recorded programmes

3: OnDemand

Do you have any problems with your home broadband on other devices? Laptops, phones, tablets etc

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies so far. Sometimes on recorded programs the box freezes if I pause the program and then try and play it. BBC i player does a random freeze when playing a program for a couple of seconds then starts playing, and randomly I get other apps like Netflix not loading and freezing so I have to reboot the box to get it all working again.

Live tv seems to be ok but I have noticed certain hd channels sometimes do a random stutter when watching live tv. Like a quick pause and then it will carry on. I have had the V6 box probably around 4 or 5 years sick so I do t know what their expected life span is? 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Spacebucks wrote:

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies so far. Sometimes on recorded programs the box freezes if I pause the program and then try and play it. BBC i player does a random freeze when playing a program for a couple of seconds then starts playing, and randomly I get other apps like Netflix not loading and freezing so I have to reboot the box to get it all working again.

The bit I've highlighted in bold would suggest a hard drive problem.

The bit I've underlined could easily be an internet connectivity problem or a general box fault. Do you have any problems with non-BBC OnDemand programmes? That would be a good test of the V6's internet connectivity.

@Spacebucks wrote:

Live tv seems to be ok but I have noticed certain hd channels sometimes do a random stutter when watching live tv.

Which specific ones? There are reasons for asking, and newapollo will probably know where I'm going with this.

It's entirely possible that your V6 could have early onset failure and I wouldn't rule it out. But I'm not convinced just yet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

roy247
Community elder

I would say you have a faulty box and require an engineer to replace your box and possibly check your signal levels when he's there.

So that would be a call to 150 from a Virgin phone to report a fault. 

Known random stuttering channels? 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roy247 wrote:
Known random stuttering channels? 

Faults in tech are rarely random, and there's usually some logic somewhere. If the OP can identify the channels affected, it may show a pattern.

It equally may not, but let's at least try. You've alluded to signal levels Roy, and as we all know - that causes "random" channels to break up when they're not random at all....

Thanks everyone for your replies. I’ll keep checking but being a busy working parent I don’t have a lot of time on my hands at the moment . My V6 box was sent to me to install myself last time and really I was just hoping Virgin would send me a new one out so I can just replace the old one and send the old one it back to them. 

Hi @Spacebucks,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been experiencing some issues with your V6 box recently. I've checked over things on our systems, and I'm not picking up any faults on the line currently that would explain the problems you're having with playback on certain channels or apps freezing.

If you haven't done so already, I would recommend ensuring that all of your connections to and from the box are tight and secure to address any potential connection issues. If the issue persists then it would be worth performing a factory reset of the box, but be mindful that this may delete your recordings.

Let us know how you get on with the above, and if these problems continue for you then we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!