Menu
WIthdean
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

New V6 box - no signal to second TV

I have been using an old virgin box to feed two TVs, one via a 10m long hdmi cable.  Virgin have today removed the old box and fitted a new V6 box and the second TV shows a fault saying there is no signal

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: New V6 box - no signal to second TV

Assuming one TV was driven by the SCART out of the previous box and one by the HDMI out, that can no longer happen as V6 only has a single HDMI out.

You will need to split the HDMI out, using an HDMI splitter, to drive two TVs.

If you search the forum, you will find a number of threads discussing this requirement.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

10m is way to long for HDMI by the specs. while it may work at lower resolutions if you went from tivo HD to V6 4k you might not be able to use the long cable.

0 Kudos
WIthdean
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have tried disconnecting the box adjacent the new V6 box and just connected directly via the HDMI cable and the fault is the same.

0 Kudos
WIthdean
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can I reduce the resolution of the output from the V6 box to see if the second TV will then work.  If so how do I change the setting on the V6 box to reduce the resolution

0 Kudos
WIthdean
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My earlier reply was not very clear.

should have said I have disconnected the first TV which is adjacent the V6 box and connected the 10m long HDMI cable directly from the box to the second TV. I had previously used the Scart cable to connect to the first TV.

ONly the one TV connected but still no signal

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

.. and post #3 advises that long HDMI cables can’t sustain 4K signals. The cable is likely to be the wrong spec for 4K as well. Not all HDMI cables have the same capability.

av-115
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

There are two types of HDMI cable; standard speed & high speed. Ensure yours is the latter. Finally, if your main TV is 4K and your second TV is not, then the V6 will be outputting a 4K resolution which your second TV will not work with. On your V6, go to Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Video and change the output res to something your second TV is compatible with e.g 720p, 1080p etc. Failing that I would replace the cable. 10m is pushing it for 4K but is fine for 1080.

To test whether it's the cable or not, are you able to place the second TV next to the V6 and try a different (shorter) cable?

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
WIthdean
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestions but it the second TV is wall mounted and it would be a lost of hassle to take this down to bring it nearer the V6 box.

Neither TV is working on 4K, both are on 1080.

What I don't really understand is why this set up has been working perfectly with the previous V+ box and I now cannot get a signal form the V6 box.

I have tried setting the resolution down to 720 but still no signal to the second TV.

When testing I have disconnected the feed to the main TV and simply connected the HDMI cable from the V6 box to the second TV via the 10m HDMI cable - is there any reason why both would need to be connected at the same time.

Now at a loss to know what else I can try.

0 Kudos
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have you ruled out the HDMI cable as faulty? I.e have you tried connecting it to another source e.g Blu-ray player, games console etc and fed that signal to your second TV? What about connecting to a different HDMI port on the second TV? It is a process of elimination so rule out what you can.

Edit: I think at this point I'd be ordering a replacement cable to try. Something like this.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos