Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 41 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Re: New V6 box issues with Sony Bravia

So your Sony TV is four years old?

What is the date on its last firmware update and does it support the HDCP level required for 4K over HDMI?

0 Kudos
iadom
On our wavelength
Message 42 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Not sure about the date but it is version PKG3.004EUA, listed on the Sony support pages as the latest firmware update. No idea about the second part of your question. 

That said, it does work perfectly once I have switched the TV on and off a couple of times and as also mentioned on rare occasions it comes on perfectly first time and once it is working it never fails. At the moment it is something I can easily live with, it's just a tad annoying but there are far more important things to worry about. Smiley Wink

Must also add that once it is working all the UHD channels such as BT 351 and the new VM 4K UHD channels are very good. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 43 of 48
Flag for a moderator

That ‘latest’ software level for your four year old TV is almost two years old (March 2017).

It is unlikely to get any further updates and, personally, I’m not surprised it has some issues with V6.

0 Kudos
iadom
On our wavelength
Message 44 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that info, as I said I can live with it, as long as I can get it going with a couple of on/offs I'm good. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
iadom
On our wavelength
Message 45 of 48
Flag for a moderator

I had a reply from Sony tech support and carried out some tests suggested by them.

From this it would appear that the TV or the V6 box are not the cause of the problem.

My set up includes a Sony AMP for my surround sound system. This has been very good and still works perfectly but it is around 12 years old or more.

With the HDMI cable plugged directly into the TV from the V6 box it all works flawlessly, it reverts back to the 'unsupported signal' when routed through the AMP.

As mentioned earlier I can eventually get it to work and am awaiting a further response from Sony but it does look as though I may have to treat myself to a new AMP in the future. 

Jim.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 46 of 48
Flag for a moderator

So, the pertinent information has arrived. Your even older amp is incapable of passing HDCP 2.2, the copyright requirement of 4K.

0 Kudos
se1lad
Dialled in
Message 47 of 48
Flag for a moderator

@iadom wrote:

I may have to treat myself to a new AMP in the future. 

If you are looking for a new Sony amp this one has good reviews:

https://www.richersounds.com/sony-strdn1080-blk.html

However it has been around for nearly 2 years, I expect Sony will replace it soon, so you may be able to get it cheaper in a few months.

I have the previous version of it and it works fine with my Sony TV and my V6.

Alternatively you could connect directly to the TV with HDMI and then use a digital audio cable to connect back to the existing amplifier to carry the sound.

0 Kudos
iadom
On our wavelength
Message 48 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Yes, already had a look at that AMP.

The digital audio out from the V6 is already connected to the amp so that is one avenue to go down. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos