Menu
Robwar1
Tuning in
Message 31 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Re: New V6 box issues with Sony Bravia

I note with some amusement the suggestion to buy a soundbar so that the box works properly.  Not sure when the sales colleague informed me of this or where it is in the terms and conditions.  Perhaps Virgin should supply these! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 32 of 48
Flag for a moderator

@Robwar1 wrote:

I note with some amusement the suggestion to buy a soundbar so that the box works properly.  Not sure when the sales colleague informed me of this or where it is in the terms and conditions.  Perhaps Virgin should supply these! 

or Sony

0 Kudos
Robwar1
Tuning in
Message 33 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Hi appreciate the productive advice, I have decided to return to my previous supplier given the loss of confidence with Virgin.  Have also advised BBC Watchdog so hopefully they will air the issue and advise customers, new and existing.

Without prejudice 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Community elder
Message 34 of 48
Flag for a moderator

I only chipped in to relate that my tv issue was due to it not being "fit for purpose" (your phrase) whilst the V6 was. It reminded me of the hoohaa last year when all Apple devices on iOS11.4 suddenly stopped working on SH2's. The forum was flooded with demands for VM to fix it or to get upgraded to Hub3's as the SH2 was no longer "fit for purpose" - and most people got the new Hub for free. Then, Apple released iOS12.0 and all devices started working on SH2's again - which had now returned to being "fit for purpose" again.

EDIT: I forgot....   I am not, never have been nor ever will be a VM or LG employee - happily retired Smiley Happy

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Problem sorter
Message 35 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Terminating your VM contract early will cost you. Cheaper to buy that soundbar and connect it to the V6 with a TOSLINK cable. And you may get bettter audio compared with your TV's speakers.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 36 of 48
Flag for a moderator

I agree with @jbrennand.

When two devices are connected together and don’t work, either or both devices could be at fault.

That’s why there are standards. I wonder which device is failing the latest, 4K HDMI standard, V6 or TV?

My Panasonic TV works well with V6.

0 Kudos
Robwar1
Tuning in
Message 37 of 48
Flag for a moderator

With regard to the comment re contract termination, the company have agreed to cancel without cost given my previous comments and legal background.  More than happy to provide the email address of Chief Executive to others wishing to hold the company to account. 

Without prejudice 

0 Kudos
iadom
On our wavelength
Message 38 of 48
Flag for a moderator

It is immaterial as to where the technical fault lies, the simple fact is that VM are aware of this V6 and some makes of TV issue but do not appear to be telling prospective customers. I was only informed by an almost throw away aside from the install tech, AFTER he had done the installation.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Community elder
Message 39 of 48
Flag for a moderator

@iadom wrote:

It is immaterial as to where the technical fault lies, the simple fact is that VM are aware of this V6 and some makes of TV issue but do not appear to be telling prospective customers. I was only informed by an almost throw away aside from the install tech, AFTER he had done the installation.

Its an interesting point.  I expect the techie was giving you his own opinion based on his personal experience in doing this with similar models - and not an official VM pronouncement on the suitability of other company's equipment. 

As Ernie said - that's why there are standards.  You would expect that both company's products must adhere to those and are properly tested.  But it must be almost impossible, for either hardware manafacturer, to test their products on every "compatible" model on the market (hence standards).  So you wonder why things fall through the net - perhaps the standards are not rigorous enough.  At least Apple rectified their incompatibility issue pretty quickly after iOS11.4 devices started having problems with multiple router models world wide -  they must have just sampled the "pool" before releasing 11.4. Just begs the question in these instances which company should be doing the rectifying or informing their customers that their products have known/documented issues with some other - equipment.  Perhaps they both should?  I can imagine the scenes in the Marketing Departments of those 2 companies. Smiley Happy

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
iadom
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 48
Flag for a moderator

However....unlike the previous poster my Sony Bravia TV had been working perfectly for nearly four years with the TiVo box so you could hardly expect Sony to notify me about a conflict with an as yet non existent V6 box. Even a cursory Google brings up many references about V6 compatibility problems so I am fairly certain that it has been known about by VM for quite some time.