Menu
Robwar1
Tuning in
Message 21 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Re: New V6 box issues with Sony Bravia

Hi, I have a one year old Sony Bravia and switched to virgin 5 months ago.  No-one made me aware of this when I was scheduling the install, my sound keeps dropping out and Virgin are denying any knowledge of this, despite the engineer stating he has come across it frequently.  As they did not advise me of this at the time of taking out the contract I have advised the equipment is not "fit for purpose" and am going back to Sky.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Superstar
Message 22 of 48
Flag for a moderator

When I had my "V6 sound cuts out" problem, on my new Samsung TV (not a 4K) last summer, my first thought was to call VM to get the V6 fixed or swapped!  Which  ultimately didn't fix anything.  So I went onto the Samsung forums (EU & US) where there are literally dozens of posts from people experiencing all sorts of sound and picture issues with their new Sammy TV's when connecting to their favourite cable TV "box". 

Long story short......  I eventually contacted Samsung UK support who responded saying they thought they knew what the issue was, and  “one of our representatives can remotely access your TV to perform the HDMI EDID rewriting, before establishing the connection with the V6 box and the other HDMI-supported external devices”.  Did that and problem solved.   So I would first call Sony's UK support and see if their equipment is "fit for purpose" and see if they they can help before doing anything else.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Robwar1
Tuning in
Message 23 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your email.  I note the rather sarcastic reference to Sony being fit for purpose and would advise that there is nothing wrong with the TV.  The fact that you also experienced it with another brand clearly demonstrates a design or software fault with the Virgin box, not the tvs!  As a large company Virgin who are clearly aware of this issue should not only be liaising with the TV companies but advising customers, especially new ones of the issue so an informed choice can be made.  UK Statutory Legislation clearly provides for this and indeed consumers can hold companies to account also.  The additional shockly poor customer service and failure to reply to complaints also lends weight to customers seeking a remedy against Virgin for failure to provide the contractual service and breach of contract.  I would advise that during my latest over two hour call yesterday to the technical department they are still denying any knowledge of this fault despite their engineer explsinong it to me at length in his visit last week!

Without prejudice. 

0 Kudos
iadom
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 48
Flag for a moderator

I have to agree with previous poster, the problem with my V6 box and Sony Bravia TV still persists even though the TV has the latest firmware updates.

The very fact that the install tech informed me of known issues with the V6 box and Sony TV's suggests that VM are well aware of this problem. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 25 of 48
Flag for a moderator

@Robwar1 wrote:

Thank you for your email.  I note the rather sarcastic reference to Sony being fit for purpose and would advise that there is nothing wrong with the TV.  The fact that you also experienced it with another brand clearly demonstrates a design or software fault with the Virgin box, not the tvs!  As a large company Virgin who are clearly aware of this issue should not only be liaising with the TV companies but advising customers, especially new ones of the issue so an informed choice can be made.  UK Statutory Legislation clearly provides for this and indeed consumers can hold companies to account also.  The additional shockly poor customer service and failure to reply to complaints also lends weight to customers seeking a remedy against Virgin for failure to provide the contractual service and breach of contract.  I would advise that during my latest over two hour call yesterday to the technical department they are still denying any knowledge of this fault despite their engineer explsinong it to me at length in his visit last week!

Without prejudice. 

100's of brands of TV two don't work with V6, I would hazard a guess it's the TV that has the issue, did Sony warn you it didn't work with the V6 so you could make an informed choice

0 Kudos
Robwar1
Tuning in
Message 26 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Dear Dannylau,

Firstly, can you confirm you are not an employee or connected to the company as there does appear to be an apparent venom in your response and I wish to clarify there is no conflict of interest here!  Secondly, after discussing the matter with the Executive Office earlier today upon my email to the Chief Executive, there is in fact a known issue with several brands, so you are correct.  The issue is that when purchasing my TV I only require to check the current provider which was, at that time Sky.  The TV worked perfectly and I had no difficulty.  Therefore, the TV was already in situ when I applied to Virgin and it is, therefore, Virgin's responsibility to ascertain whether their equipment would be compatible with the TV which is currently operating in my home, especially as this is a known issue!  Further, there was no information or disclaimer provided to me on the telephone regarding this matter, I appreciate that this may be due to the fact that if Virgin were to start advising people they would have to turn off the TV and box everytime they changed a channel not many people would come to them!  Even if it were hidden in the small print, as a "known issue" I would require to be specifically informed of this clearly at the outset so as to comply with the contra proferentum contract law rule!  

For anyone experiencing this problem, as you were not advised and the company continues to deny matters you can clearly insist on termination of your contract without penalty due by you and I am more than willing to provide the Chief Executive's email address for you to write a complaint in order that they can contact you as they have done with me today.

Without prejudice.

0 Kudos
Robwar1
Tuning in
Message 27 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Hi, many thanks for your post in support, it appears there are parties on this forum who may have a vested interest in defending the company for one reason or another!  Please see my latest post and I hope you get matters resolved.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
iadom
On our wavelength
Message 28 of 48
Flag for a moderator

As I only need to switch the TV on/off a few times before it works I have been living with it, on very rare occasions it does actually come on perfectly first time, at other times I have to switch the TV on/off five or six times to get it to work. Once it is working I then have no further issues.

I have very recently contacted Sony tech support after reading above regarding an HDMI-EDID re write, I await their response.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 29 of 48
Flag for a moderator

I don't work for Virgin, do you expect Virgin to buy every brand of TV on the market to check compatibility? perhaps if TV manufacturers kept fully the to HDMI standard it would be better for everyone.

Though your issue could probably be fixed with a £30 sound bar.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Trouble shooter
Message 30 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Some people have found that turning the TV on before bringing the V6 out of standby solves the handshaking problem.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos