Menu
iadom
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

New V6 box failing in days,

V6 box was only installed on Tuesday, since then it has had multiple failures. First time watching a pre recorded programme which stopped halfway through with ' temporarily unavailable '. After going back and forth was able to get the programme to play through.

Yesterday without any warning the picture and then the sound went off, the programme guides etc were all still visible. Had to do a reboot to clear this fault and got a warning 'V6 not connected to WiFi ' as it came back on stream. Our router had been changed for a new Hub3 at the same time.

Tonight watching a paid for movie On Demand it once more stopped half way through with temp unavailable' on screen. This time I had to go through the diagnostics reset routine before I was able to go back to the movie and then had to fast forward to the middle of the film to start watching it again.Smiley Mad

If this is what I can expect after less than a week when paying almost £150 per month I may soon be looking elsewhere.Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
ozsat
Wise owl
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: New V6 box failing in days,

It could just be a signal issue and nothing to do with the box - what did faults say on 150 when you called?

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
iadom
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I haven't called them yet regarding this new V6 box. I did make several phone calls to 150 last week trying to add Caller ID to my phone, was held in a queue for so long each time I gave up on the first 7 or 8 attempts so I am staying away from a 150 call ATM for the sake of my sanity. I will monitor the box and see how it performs for the next couple of weeks first, fingers crossed it will settle down.

The VM engineer did have to make some alterations to various connections etc due to signal power levels when he installed the new box and router.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Wise owl
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Calls to 150 get routed to different places depending on your replies so a long wait on a telephone issue doesn't mean the same on a tv issue - but then it could be either longer Smiley Wink

It takes a while (usally days) to get help for local issues just by posting in the forum here.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
michaeldavis
Well-informed
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The crux of the problem is in your post
"Had to do a reboot to clear this fault and got a warning 'V6 not connected to WiFi ' as it came back on stream. Our router had been changed for a new Hub3 at the same time."

Whilst the V6 box can be connected to the super hub via a CAT 5 cable or via WiFi, the former has few issues and the latter can have multiple connection issues.

Depending on the location of your super hub box, many things can stop the signal, a body such as feet, a pet or other can block the signal.

In an ideal world WiFi is reliable, but homes are not ideal there are so many things that can attenuate the signal can cause the connection to drop, its not unique to virgin but something that affects all devices that rely on WiFi.

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.
0 Kudos
dante01
Rising star
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@michaeldavis wrote:

Depending on the location of your super hub box, many things can stop the signal, a body such as feet, a pet or other can block the signal.

eh? Household pets have no effect whatsoever upon wifi signals. The construction of a building may influence the signal around that location, but the signal will pass through your cat, feet or dog without issue. Anyway, who said that the OP was relying upon wifi?

http://www.alphr.com/features/367681/what-can-get-in-wi-fis-way

It is true that water can impede wifi signals and the human body is made up of 45 to 75% water depending upon your age, but your home would need to be jam packed full of people and or animals in order for this to effect your wifi.

0 Kudos
michaeldavis
Well-informed
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Oddly enough dante01 the original post stated " V6 not connected to WiFi  "

Body mass can impede a wifi signal, a single person can block a wifi signal as neither of us know the location of the router and its relative location in respect to the V6 box, its a reasonable possible cause.

There are multiple causes as to what can result in a loss of wifi signal depending on its frequency which is unknown, but as you appear to have failed to read " V6 not connected to WiFi  " it can not possibly be the wifi that is the issue can it be dante01 Smiley Happy

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.
0 Kudos
dante01
Rising star
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@michaeldavis wrote:

Body mass can impede a wifi signal, a single person can block a wifi signal as neither of us know the location of the router and its relative location in respect to the V6 box, its a reasonable possible cause.

He might be sat on it? Either this or he's a house full of severed feet? Maybe it is all the feet that are attracting the packs of dogs and the cats?

0 Kudos
iadom
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Went off again last night, in the middle of watching a pre recorded programme it stopped playback with the same, 'temporarily unavailable' message. Again had to close and then open My Shows again to get it to play but as with the film there was no option to resume from where you left off, only from the start again.

Just had my iPad right in front of the V6 box and got 123mbps which is pretty good in my book.

Ran the 'Connect to Virgin Media Service Now in settings and it shows the router, with  signal strength 67% (good).

0 Kudos
dante01
Rising star
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@iadom wrote:

Went off again last night, in the middle of watching a pre recorded programme it stopped playback with the same, 'temporarily unavailable' message. Again had to close and then open My Shows again to get it to play but as with the film there was no option to resume from where you left off, only from the start again.

Just had my iPad right in front of the V6 box and got 123mbps which is pretty good in my book.

Ran the 'Connect to Virgin Media Service Now in settings and it shows the router, with  signal strength 67% (good).

Have you checked the service status in your area to see if there are any issues outstanding that could be causing this? If not then do so and if none are listed then I'd suggest you call VM and report a fault.

0 Kudos