Menu
sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

New Tivo Cuts recodings short

Hi,

Only a few months back we moved to virgin tv for sky sports and bt sports, and the catchup, pause and record functions.

Now Christmas there were loads of films on, so we set the TiVo to record only to discover that most of the films have 10 mins or more missing off the end?! same to series? they just randomly stop saying "do you wish to keep this recording or delete"? ITS NOT FINISGHED YET!! 

we have missed the end of 3 films so far to the point where all my friends and family are moaning at me saying sky doesn't have this problem! im that annoyed that im seriously considering scrapping the tv and going else where!

also the pause function is crap! if I pause a program at 13:20 and leave it on pause while I go sort the kids out, come back at 13:35 and press play its fine, until the time gets to 14:00.. then suddenly my (paused program) suddenly catches up to realtime tv??? AND I CANT REWIND EVEN THOUGH IVE BEEN ON THAT CHANNEL>? I can only rewind to 14:00???

is my box faulty or is it just a load of crap? please some one from virgin let me know otherwise im going to sky for a box that can actually record and pause!

NOT HAPPY! 3 films I now don't know what happens at the end 😕

** ++ Superhub 3 (Modem Mode) - Vivid500 - Unifi USG - Unifi Access Points - HP Procurve 24 managed switch - Netgear GS108 Switches - FTP and Plex Servers - NAS Drives ++ **
Cueball99
Rising star
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Tivo Cuts recodings short

You clearly have some kind of issue as my box never misses the end of anything, unless it runs over at the last minute, which is rare.

It's an odd issue though as I haven't heard of this happening on that scale before.

How many minutes is the box set to record at the end of a recording and have you reset the box and tried recording another film to check that it still happens?

Some examples of the film's/programs may help.

As for the pause, it will only do this if you have a program set to record on the channel you have paused or on delay. The box will clear the buffer of that tuner ready to record the next show. Best thing to do is if you know a recording is going to start on that channel then hit the record button and the box will record the whole of the paused program.

This is an inherent flaw in the TiVo software, which Virgin cannot control, but hopeful this is something that will be fixed in the LG Horizon update due at some point.

0 Kudos
sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The box has been reset after the issues with the pause, and we tried pressing record on a paused program and all it does is record from the realtime point, not the paused point or save the whole program, which im sure the old TiVo used to do?

the record times are set at the default setting as we have not messed about with that. 

also if we are watching some thing in pause, if we have a recording set up on another channel we still get kicked out of our pause and lose it, and again cannot rewind it?? its actually pointless pausing anything unless its for a few mins and we can then catch up by fast-forwarding adverts?! 

I actually think the TiVo is faulty

** ++ Superhub 3 (Modem Mode) - Vivid500 - Unifi USG - Unifi Access Points - HP Procurve 24 managed switch - Netgear GS108 Switches - FTP and Plex Servers - NAS Drives ++ **
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Cueball99
Rising star
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

You definitely have an issue, call 150 and report it. You might want to go through the thinking of leaving us option as you may not have much luck with the overseas call centre

0 Kudos
michaeldavis
Well-informed
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

You should not be expecting a full recording if you have a channel on paused, it defies logic why anyone would expect this to work correctly.  The box will not record the contents of the buffer, it is not designed to do this, recording is real time, unless there is a TARDIS mode on equipment that is undocumented.

The V6 box will only jump to another channel if you use the "Record and remind this show" when setting a manual record to start.  If you use this option the buffer will tend to be purged. A simple "Record this show" will start the recording at the time stated on the program guide, once a program is set to record you can manually change the stop recording up to 3 hours after the scheduled end time.  Unfortunately the V6 box does not have a built in system that allows for unscheduled changes to program times, but knowing this it is a simple things to manually extend the end time
Home > My Shows and Recordings > My Planned Recordings >
Select the recording that you wish to alter
Modify recording > Recording options >Stop recording
Here you can set the end time by "on time" 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 15, 30, 60, 90, or 180 minutes
Then select Record episode with these options

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.
0 Kudos
Cueball99
Rising star
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but you are wrong. I have recorded multiple shows from start to finish after the particular show has been paused for some time.  The only time this does not work is if in real time the guide has moved on to the next program or the box has flushed the buffer because it's recording the next show, which is what the op has mentioned.

As for the rest of your post, what are you going on about? At no point has the op or myself mentioned remind or record, I have not recommended it or has the op said they used it.

As for manual recording, are you suggesting that the op should manually record everything and add time to the recordings to ensure nothing is missed, rather than have a box that records from start to finish automatically as it should?

Overrunning programs are rare and the usual culprits, sporting events, are recognised by the box and an option is given to extend the recordings by a set time when pressing the record button. Manual recording should only need to be used on odd occasions, not every time you want to record a film!.

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

What channels were the films on? A lot of them now break movies in to two parts and show a 5 minute entertainment news programme in the middle. You need to record both parts to get the whole film. Channels that do this include the Channel 5 group, ITV2/3/4, Sony Movie channel.

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Whenever I have set a movie to record, when it is split in 2 it always records both halves without having to set the 2 halves separately.

Just recently when Eastenders was recording (on series link) the recording has cut off before the end of the program. No idea why and it's very annoying (I can imagine it would be even more annoying for films) - I didn't have too many programs set to record at the time. Whether there had been an overrun, I don't know, but twice seems unlikely.

0 Kudos
sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

i know one of the films was on channel 5, and it was split in two, but there was no news or anything unusual. the whole film was 2hrs and 10 mins but the tivo stopped recording on the hour so there was 10 mins missing.

the other one was a bbc1 program, which as far as i know was on time.

its got to the stage where we really dont trust this tivo to properly record anything which basically means im wasting my money paying for this service which quite clearly isnt fit for purpose.

what makes it worse is ive been to a friends over chrstmas and he had sky q. no offence but that smashes this tivo out of the water! regretting going for the tv service now!
0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Sky Q only records on the main box afaik, so has limited space for recording. I have 4 Virgin boxes, so, if I wanted, I could record different programs on all 4. Far more space. I don't like the Sky interface.

0 Kudos