cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sony Bravia google TV says TV box is switched off

Tammer_Stern
Tuning in

Hi, I recently broke my previous Sony TV and bought a new Bravia Google TV.   

I find that the TV cannot detect the Virgin TV box through the HDMI cable, unlike other devices.  The TV says that the TV box is switched off.  The only way to get it to recognise that the box is on is to switch the power off to the V6 box then switch it on again.

I searched up the problem online and it seems to be a fairly common problem.  Someone commented that the V6 box doesn't output much power through the HDMI and so that can cause the TV not to recognise it.  They solved it by buying a powered HDMI hub and connecting the V6 box to that and then the hub to the TV and that seems to fix it.  I have now done that too and it seems to work.

The PS4 has no such issues and switches on just by selecting that HDMI input without going through the HDMI hub.

Am I right in thinking that the V6 box has a peculiar HDMI output and that is why the TV is not detecting it?  Is my v6 box faulty?

27 REPLIES 27

Hi Peter2424, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having the same issue. 

Do you have any sound equipment attached or is it just the Virgin Box direct to the TV? 

Pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath

I do not have any sound equipment, the box is connected directly to the tv.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Is it possible when you've tried a new HDMI lead to try a different HDMI port also? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

I have tried all the available ports, but it makes no difference. I have just switched my TV on and I had to reboot the box to watch tv.

Hello,

Sorry to jump on to your thead. I bought a new Sony bravia TV yesterday and I'm experiencing the exact same problem. 

Has this ever been resolved?

Hi @Rossobarco, thanks for your post here in the community.

Unfortunately, there is no proven fix for this as you'll see in this thread above, as generally it's due to issues between the two sets of equipment and not necessarily the fault of our V6 box.

I'd recommend trying the steps highlighted earlier in the thread, to see if any of these provide you with any help!

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. I have rectified my problem. 

I had to configure the hdmi input in the bravia settings part of the Sony tv.

Thanks 

Ross

Thanks for letting us know @Rosscobarco, glad to hear this has now been resolved.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules