cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sony Bravia google TV says TV box is switched off

Tammer_Stern
Tuning in

Hi, I recently broke my previous Sony TV and bought a new Bravia Google TV.   

I find that the TV cannot detect the Virgin TV box through the HDMI cable, unlike other devices.  The TV says that the TV box is switched off.  The only way to get it to recognise that the box is on is to switch the power off to the V6 box then switch it on again.

I searched up the problem online and it seems to be a fairly common problem.  Someone commented that the V6 box doesn't output much power through the HDMI and so that can cause the TV not to recognise it.  They solved it by buying a powered HDMI hub and connecting the V6 box to that and then the hub to the TV and that seems to fix it.  I have now done that too and it seems to work.

The PS4 has no such issues and switches on just by selecting that HDMI input without going through the HDMI hub.

Am I right in thinking that the V6 box has a peculiar HDMI output and that is why the TV is not detecting it?  Is my v6 box faulty?

27 REPLIES 27

My new Sony TV works fine with my V6, are you using a high speed hdmi cable?

Yes, using correct high speed hdmi.

We have discovered that the issue is negated if we do not select Virgin via the input options but just use the 'TV' button on the remote itself!

If we try and select HDMI 2 directly it does not recognise a signal from the box which is odd.

Hi - on my Sony TV, under inputs you can choose two options - 1 4k and the other is for maximum compatibility (or something like that).  

I found my PS4 went laggy as anything by having it on the TV's 4k setting. When I switched it to the other setting (on the TV) it performs fine.

I have wondered if that would also work with my V6 box but I've not yet disconnected the powered HDMI hub (for fear of disrupting things) to try it out.

Have you tried the powered HDMI hub solution? 

pablog1980
On our wavelength

I have the same problem when I turn my tv box on the tv doesn’t recognise it it still says virgin tv hdmi 1 and shield hdmi 4 the shield is ok but the tv box although turned on has no picture this is very annoying as I have to pull the hdmi out and plug it back in I would like this fixed 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Sorry to hear you've encountered this problem pablog1980, do you have the same issue without the HDMI hub - or a different HDMI cable? Let us know what you've tried already to help us narrow down what might be causing this. 

Tom 

pablog1980
On our wavelength

This doesn’t happen everytime but it happens often enough to be an annoyance I have tried different cable and it happened once

Hi pablog1980, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

I'm glad to hear that changing he cable has helped to improve things. 

When you're not using the HDMI hub, does this stop the issues happening completely?

Pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

pablog1980
On our wavelength

Changing the cable has not worked I never said this

Hi pablog1980,

Can you confirm if this is still happening since you last changed the cable?

Alex_Rm 

I have been having this problem since I bought my Sony Bravia, the problem is persistent and I have swapped HDMI cables twice with no result; has anyone found a solution? I have to select the input from the tv remote every time I switch the TV on; I never turn the tivo box off.