cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sony Bravia google TV says TV box is switched off

Tammer_Stern
Tuning in

Hi, I recently broke my previous Sony TV and bought a new Bravia Google TV.   

I find that the TV cannot detect the Virgin TV box through the HDMI cable, unlike other devices.  The TV says that the TV box is switched off.  The only way to get it to recognise that the box is on is to switch the power off to the V6 box then switch it on again.

I searched up the problem online and it seems to be a fairly common problem.  Someone commented that the V6 box doesn't output much power through the HDMI and so that can cause the TV not to recognise it.  They solved it by buying a powered HDMI hub and connecting the V6 box to that and then the hub to the TV and that seems to fix it.  I have now done that too and it seems to work.

The PS4 has no such issues and switches on just by selecting that HDMI input without going through the HDMI hub.

Am I right in thinking that the V6 box has a peculiar HDMI output and that is why the TV is not detecting it?  Is my v6 box faulty?

27 REPLIES 27

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi what video settings have you set in the settings menu on your V6 as this is most likely to be the problem. Regards Micky

This looks like a handshaking problem, so try this. Remove the powered HDMI hub and connect the TV directly to the V6. When not in use put the TV and V6 into standby and take the TV and V6 out of standby in that order.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

The settings are the default.   In the video format settings it says your tivo box has been automatically set up to output 2160p which is the preferred video format for your tv . 

Could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks for your reply. I’ve tried that a few times and it doesn’t improve anything. I agree it seems like a handshaking problem but why would the PS4 show up every time without fail but the virgin box not?

As a side issue, the tv remote would occasionally control the virgin box eg pressing back would take you back in the menu, which I didn’t think was possible.

Is anyone able to help with this problem?

Hi Tammer_Stern, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having this issue. 

Being honest, there is no reason why the TV shouldn't recognise that the box is being turned on. Did you have this issue with your previous TV? 

It's worth maybe trying a new HDMI slot on the TV as well to see if this makes any difference. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I'm also having the same issue. We have recently purchased a new Sony 4K TV and plugged in our V6 Tivo box. Whilst set up was fine, as soon as the TV and V6 are switched off or go into standby, the V6 is not recognised unless it is fully rebooted - the Sony TV says the V6 box is not powered on but it clearly is.

Once rebooted it is fine (until the next time it is in standby mode). 

As there is clearly a signal going to the TV, I do not understand why I'm having this issue - I have changed HDMI cables and used different ports but with the same results.

Have you completed the tv box setup on the Sony?

Yes, completed the tv set up and able to change channels, see program guide etc. Problem is when switching to another input source or entering standby, will only recognise the Virgin box if it is rebooted.