cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix failures through TIVO

rmitch40
Tuning in

I have to turn my tivo box off and on almost every day in order to clear Netflix error messages. Doesn't happen for any other apps (e.g. Prime, BBC iPlayer). I have spoken to Netflix direct, who's answer was to (wait for it).... turn the box off and on.

Completely boiling my brain. Why/how can this happen with only one app? And what can I do to sort it? New box?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ok, so it's not a Netflix issue as an internet connectivity issue - that helps.

If you're using an Ethernet cable, there's 2 good tests to run, that'll prove the V6 > Hub > internet connection is working.

1: Follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network. Check the RHS for an IP address and the LHS for regular 6hourly connections.

2: Follow Home > Help & Settings > Help > TV Care > (top of screen) > TV Speed test Press "ok" to run the test or "play" to get speed specifics.

If you have an issue with your homehub or VM broadband, it will affect all connected devices - tablets, laptops, phones, the lot.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

80 REPLIES 80

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've mentioned Prime, but the TiVo doesn't have this app - only the V6 does.

The TiVo & V6 use the same software but are otherwise very different boxes that connect differently - and the advice will therefore vary.

Which do you have? Check here if you're not sure.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

rmitch40
Tuning in

Sorry, it’s a v6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thanks for confirming.

The V6 isn't known for being problematic with any streaming apps, it's quite capable.

Many issues are caused by connectivity problems, especially where boxes are linked to your home-hub (Which provides the connection) by WiFi.

Ok, thanks. But why would the issue only happen with one streaming service (Netflix). No issue with Prime, iPlayer.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the issue is with the V6's internet connection, it shouldn't.

What are the error codes/messages you're getting? I don't think you've said.

Just an error within Netflix saying ‘we are having trouble playing this title at the moment. Please try again later’.

same for anything I try to play, until I turn the box off and on again. I have also tried going into settings and reconnecting with WiFi.

Hi is it possible to connect with an ethernet cable from the hub to the V6. Regards Micky

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Whilst an Ethernet cable is certainly worth a try for elimination purposes - and I'd always advocate using wired rather than wireless given the choice - I'm sceptical that's the issue here.

If other VoD services & streaming services work, the internet connection doesn't seem to be the problem. If the error is occuring with the NF app itself, that strikes me as a NF issue, not a VM connectivity one.

Is this error on all titles or just specific ones?

When it happens, it is on all titles.

I will plug an Ethernet cable in anyway, to see if it makes a difference. I agree it might be unlikely that it’s the cause given other services work.