cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix error Nw-2-5

Ninotschka
On our wavelength

Almost every time I try to log in (press the red button) on channel 204 Netflix, it gives me the Netflix logo and a circle below while it's trying to connect and then gives me a NW-2-5 error. Rebooting the V6 box usually resolved the issue or going to 'more info' and checking the connection where it tries to connect to the Netflix servers. This fails but afterwards it almost always works. 

I have 2 V6 boxes in the house, one connected via WiFi and one connected via ethernet directly to the router and both have this issue so it's not caused by the WiFi signal. Amazon Prime Video works every time on the V6 boxes.

Could you please help me to resolve this? It has been like this for many months now. 

Thank you 

68 REPLIES 68

darracott
Tuning in

This is definitely more widespread than VM are letting on. It used to happen once a week, but now is happening daily.

The only "fix" is a hard reboot of the V6 box, but the issue returns around a day later. I've not timed it precisely.

The VM team sending customers round the houses is hilarious. All other devices on the network are fine, flawless even. Even other apps on the V6 box (Amazon Prime included) are also fine.

It may well be an issue on Netflix's end, but come on VM, acknowledge the issue and help fix it.

I wonder if they're just sitting tight until the rumoured software update...

Yes I have the same issue as you Darracott, I usually just exit and reconnect the Netflix app and sometimes it works after a few tries and if it doesn't, I just use my Fire Stick. As you say, every other device works 100% every time with Netflix on my network, only the 2 Tivo boxes have these issues. One hardwired, one WiFi. But my Prime also works flawlessly every time on the TiVo boxes

It seems to me that VM are sticking their head in the sand and pretending that this is not a common issue but I am more than sure it is. Netflix are saying I need to speak to VM because the app is on their box and every other Netflix app works fine in the house, which is of course a good point. 

The issue is definitely with VM and I wish they would just stand up and admit it already

Very widespread, 7 people I have spoke to get the same issue but they didn't notice as they use the smart tv apps instead. Living room and bedrooms are fine as I use the tv app but the kitchen is a computer monitor connected to V6 so has this problem and I have tried everything! (new router, switch & cables!) Everything in the house is hardwired cat 6.

I have noticed that the V6 has very strange network behavior on all 3 of my boxes, they are unable to be pinged and the network card inside goes into power saving mode the minute you watch normal tv they go on and off from the network every few minutes or so.

Gig1 Hub 5, 3xV6/1xTiVo. ASUS GT-AX6000 and RT-AC86U AiMesh System.

I think that's the reason more people don't complain about this. They are used to using their TVs and sticks and don't even bother with the Virgin boxes when it comes to Netflix.

Interesting though about the ping and the network card dropping off the network. I will see what mine do over the weekend

I didn't notice the strange behaviour until I plugged them into my managed 10gig switch. It kept throwing me notifications of a port being online and offline and i thought I had cable issues, tried to ping and timed out on all 3 regardless of switch or direct. I am just assuming it's going into power saving mode but it's the only thing that can cause that behaviour especially when all 3 boxes do it. Similar behaviours are witnessed on my laptops running on battery.

Gig1 Hub 5, 3xV6/1xTiVo. ASUS GT-AX6000 and RT-AC86U AiMesh System.

Hi techy, 

So I checked my boxes here. I don't have a managed switch so had to do it manually but both my boxes are constantly connected to the network. I can, however, not ping them either. 

Probably unrelated seeing how prime works fine but Netflix is definitely bugged. When I reboot the boxes, it works first time every time but who's got time for that. Well annoying 

I have the same issue with Netflix on my v6

Hollie_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Warrenb

Thanks for posting on the community - sorry to hear you're having issues with Netflix. 

Is this on the V6 box? Do you have it connected to the Hub via a wired or wireless connection? 

You can also try these tips - 

Change the video resolution on the STB box by navigating to Home > Help & Settings > Video Output > Video Output Format

If 2160p (only) is enabled, also enable 2160p passthrough, then retry Netflix.
Disable both 2160p resolutions, and enable both 1080p resolutions, then retry
Disable both 1080p resolutions, and enable 1080i, then retry
Disable 1080i and enable 720p, then retry
Disable 720p and enable 576p, then retry
Disable 576p and enable 576i, then retry
Then if that's not sorted, do this;

Perform a Speedtest using the V6 Speedtest App located at -

Home > Help & Settings > Help > Our Other Products > Broadband

Let me know if this helps 🙂 

Thanks, 

Hollie_B

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I have the same problem also. App on Smart tv works every time, V6 box very temperamental, have to power cycle to get it to work - such a slow process, I use app on TV.
Really not very impressed with Tivo V6, daughter is on Sky and that interface does seem a lot better.

Ninotschka
On our wavelength

I don't know what changing the resolution will do when the issue is that the box can't connect to the Netflix server. A 25 quid fire stick connects every time without fail without changing a setting yet this "fantastic" V6 box cannot. Virgin you need to accept there's an issue with Netflix on your boxes and just fix it already