cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to control our new TV with the TV V6 remote

LesleyW
On our wavelength

Our old Samsung TV died and we have bought a new JVC TV.   As with the Samsung we would like to be able to control the new TV using the TV V6 remote.  The JVC instruction manual gives a code (0699) for doing this and says "for instructions on how to use the code see your Virgin Media Instruction manual".    I've searched for these instructions online using various key words but can't find anything.  Can someone point me in the right direction please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can get a guide on your box.

It should be in Home > Help & Settings > Help > V6 box > Program your remote.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can get a guide on your box.

It should be in Home > Help & Settings > Help > V6 box > Program your remote.

LesleyW
On our wavelength

Many thanks Ben - it works - I can now change the volume  🙂   The only thing now is that when I try to turn the TV off with the Virgin remote, the TV shows a box asking if I want to turn the TV off with a choice of 'Cancel' or 'OK' - I have to use the JVC remote!  So it rather defeats the object.

Thanks again

LesleyW
On our wavelength
Sorry - meant to ask - any thoughts? x

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Most TVs have a couple of IR codes that do slightly different things.

For instance for Samsung TVs there are two codes that work, however the volume control behaves differently - one is a single step per press and the other allows a press and hold to move up and down the volume levels, matching the TV's own remote.

So it could be the same for JVC.

The app on the box can usually detect the TV brand you're using and offer relevant codes. So maybe try some of the others to see if they work better for power.

Worst case is you go back to the original code that you know mostly works.

LesleyW
On our wavelength

Thanks for your quick reply, Ben

The code that appeared first was the one that worked the volume, not the one quoted in the JVC Instruction Manual.  I tried that one and the others but none of them allowed the volume.   I'll have to try and contact JVC, I guess, to find out if that Power on/off thingy can be removed.

Many thanks for your trouble 🙂

On my Samsung if you want to turn the TV on or off using the Virgin remote then you hold the power button down until the TV reacts. The same thing also works on a Goodmans tv that I have with another older box in the bedroom.

If you just press it quickly and then release then the V6 box assumes you are asking it to switch off and you will get the message on the screen asking if you to press "TV" if you want the box to stay on.

Try that with your JVC point the Virgin remote at your TV and hold the power (on/off) button down

Thanks Richard - that's what we already do.  The problem is it doesn't turn it off immediately - a square, generated by the TV not the box, appears and I have to use the TV remote to confirm that I want to turn the TV off.   At least the TV V6 remote deals with the volume so we'll just be content with that 🙂

Hi LesleyW, 

Thanks for your posts and apologies to hear your new TV isn't programming correctly with your V6 box remote. 

As mentioned on the thread, it can sometimes take a few different codes to get one that will control everything. You can find a full list of the codes here

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

LesleyW
On our wavelength

Many thanks, Kath - I will certainly give them a try.   What a lot of codes for so many different brands - that's one heckova list 😊

Thanks again

Lesley