cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Shows - what has gone wrong?

Oldun
On our wavelength

I have had VM for ages and, previously, when I look at my recorded shows I always had a list which I could easily play back on my TV

Now when I look at My Shows I see list and list of shows that I have not recorded which are related to some shows I have recorded. These new unwanted shows are usually only available via BBC IPlayer etc.

Also many of the shows I previously recorded are now also only available via BBC IPlayer, ITVX etc.

What has gone wrong and can I revert my system back to the way it used to work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've got a mixture of bits going on here...

1: The "random" recordings - these are suggestions, and can be disabled. From memory, Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Recordings > Suggestions > Don't record.

2: Recordings, once made, don't delete unless you specifically do so. If you're finding "recordings" that are only available from VoD sources, then you don't have recordings at all - but VoD bookmarks.

Your SL can be set to include "recordings and streaming videos" - and if there's no recordings available, then shortcuts to streaming videos will be put in the My Shows view instead.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

There's a setting somewhere where the box chooses random shows to record as suggestions, don't remember where to find it. Where the shows that have vanished recorded from SD or HD channels?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've got a mixture of bits going on here...

1: The "random" recordings - these are suggestions, and can be disabled. From memory, Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Recordings > Suggestions > Don't record.

2: Recordings, once made, don't delete unless you specifically do so. If you're finding "recordings" that are only available from VoD sources, then you don't have recordings at all - but VoD bookmarks.

Your SL can be set to include "recordings and streaming videos" - and if there's no recordings available, then shortcuts to streaming videos will be put in the My Shows view instead.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Oldun
On our wavelength

Thanks japitts for a very interesting and helpful reply.

I have sorted out item 1 OK so thanks for that.

I have set up links to to record the new series of Vera and Death in Paradise and the eventual result was a list of about 30 shows going back from the current series 12 all the way back to series 1. At the moment only about 2 or 3 shows should have been recorded. Most of the entries mention either BBC IPlayer or ITVX implying that they are catch-up and not a recording.

I have found that when viewing my shows pressing the blue button 0n the remote will change the display to only recorded programs show only the recorded programs. When I do this all entries disappear implying that nothing has been recorded and yet in the past I recorded dozens of shows from several of the series.

My questions are 

1. Why have my recorded shows disappeared?

2. How can I set viewing only recorded shows as the default?

I have tried using BBC IPlayer and ITVX but I have found then to be extremely user unfriendly as they continually asked for email address and password and often send me an email to confirm my email address.

Does every one have to jump through so many hoops just to watch a stream show when using a free service?

All I want is to turn on the TV, press a few buttons and watch the show so is there anyway to stop having to log-in every time?

Just as a note I get the same problem using BBC IPlayer on my computer

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Fundamentally a recording will only disappear either if you delete it, or to make space for new recordings if your disk is around ~95% full. So I suspect these disappearing "recordings" are not recordings at all.

Post up the settings for the series links in question, I suspect they will be set to either "recordings & streaming videos" (and no recordings are available) or "streaming videos only" - it may even be your default is for VoD only, and thus new SL's are following that. Both can be changed.

Hi there @Oldun 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the team it's great to have you back.

I'm so sorry to hear that you have faced these issues with your recording and a big thank you to japitts for their advise and help on this so far. 

Have they helped to explain and resolve the issue for you?