Menu
Garnett
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Must V6 box be connected to internet?

It'd make our lives a lot easier if we could get rid of the ethernet cable connecting the TIVO box to the internet.

We only use TIVO for watching live TV - not for recording, or any apps etc - we have a Amazon Fire TV Stick which is infinitely more pleasant to use for pretty much everything.

We've actually packed the Tivo box away, but I wouldn't mind watching some of the 6 Nations and so I'm wondering about digging it out - it's just having to wire it up to the internet (by way of powerlines and a long cable in our case) makes it a real nuisance.

Thanks a lot for any help.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Wise owl
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Must V6 box be connected to internet?

The V6 has to be connected to your internet - but has built in wifi

@Garnett wrote:

It'd make our lives a lot easier if we could get rid of the ethernet cable connecting the TIVO box to the internet.

We only use TIVO for watching live TV - not for recording, or any apps etc - we have a Amazon Fire TV Stick which is infinitely more pleasant to use for pretty much everything.

We've actually packed the Tivo box away, but I wouldn't mind watching some of the 6 Nations and so I'm wondering about digging it out - it's just having to wire it up to the internet (by way of powerlines and a long cable in our case) makes it a real nuisance.

Thanks a lot for any help.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

As ozsat says try wifi. I have 2 of mine connected by wifi and they work fine. You will need to have a good and stable wifi connection at the V6 location though. Just try it disconnect the ethernet cable and restart the V6 - in the settings>Network section you can choose the method of connection and which of the networks to use. If that isnt good enough there are things you can try/do to improve the wifi signal strength.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You've posted in the V6 forum and you've mentioned the same in your title, but then you're talking about a TiVo box? Which is it? Because they're very different boxes.

If it's a TiVo that you have then it only needs a connection to your broadband hub for two things; streaming recordings between two boxes if you have multi-room with VM, and using your smartphone as a remote control. Nothing else.

The V6 on the other hand needs the connection for its apps & On Demand content to work, but crucially it needs it to remain authorised on VM's network. After non-use or lack of connection for a week or more, the box is deactivated and you'd only get channels 1-5. In this case a phone call is required to VM CS to get it reactivated, but without that connection there is no return path to VM so it wouldn't work. As others have suggested I think you'll be fine connecting it via WiFi, especially if you're not even using the On Demand stuff, it only needs to be reliable enough to phone home once a week.

In any case whichever box you have, if you haven't used it in over a week you will need to ring up to get it reactivated.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited